Beer kits that say to leave in fermenter for only one week - WHY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
I just don't understand the rationale behind it! My first brew was a true-brew Belgian kit. The instructions said to ferment one week before racking to the bottling bucket. I never intended to leave it for only one week, but out of curiosity took a reading at 1 week. It wasn't even close to FG. Had I followed the instructions, my brewing efforts would have been for not and I may have ended up making bottle bombs. I KNOW kit instructions are awful, but why? Why would so many kit instructions be so bad and give such ridiculous directions? I sincerely feel bad for anyone who relies on them for their first brew.

i think they just give the most basic instruction needed to make beer quickly. kit instructions are very vaque when it comes to fermentation, they're not really specific to the beer in the kit. i also think there's some salesmanship going on with the finish your beer in a week thing. if you're beer's done and you fermenter's empty, you're more likely to buy another kit.

Thats the absolute earlier you can bottle, as most beers are typically finished with fermentation by then. Maybe the mentality is that if you are impatient enough to bottle that early, that you will go and buy another kit sooner while its sitting in the bottles.

Also, my Imperial Stout kit from Northern Brewer says, "Finished in 4 months". Primary 21 days, Secondary 70 days. So not all kits are 1-week kits.

The time tables in kit instructions are def wack. In one week,my beers are done with initial fermentation,but still fermenting down to FG. No need for secondary unless racking onto something. And 1 week bottle time? Yeah,sure buddy...if you like green panther wizz.
We've basically come up with good processes that we relate to the noobs on here so they can get a better 1st product.
In time,you'll find that when you're out of home brew,you're out of beer! :D(yeah,I know,old beer commercial)

Thats the absolute earlier you can bottle, as most beers are typically finished with fermentation by then. Maybe the mentality is that if you are impatient enough to bottle that early, that you will go and buy another kit sooner while its sitting in the bottles.

This is it exactly. Most people who homebrew eventually stop using kits (or stop brewing altogether, as hard is it may be to believe), so there is a limited time window where they can sell kits to people. Now, if you are unscrupulous, and you know you only have, say, 6 months to sell kits to this guy before he moves on. If you say "takes 2 months" then you are selling 3 kits. If you say "takes 2 weeks" you are selling 6 kits.

Are you sure your kit isn't telling you to put it into a secondary fermenter? Ether way your kit should be fine as long as you let it ferment down to your FG before bottling. Up to three weeks in in the primary wont effect the taste of your beer. I would wait at least 10 more days and check the gravity again.

This is it exactly. Most people who homebrew eventually stop using kits (or stop brewing altogether, as hard is it may be to believe), so there is a limited time window where they can sell kits to people. Now, if you are unscrupulous, and you know you only have, say, 6 months to sell kits to this guy before he moves on. If you say "takes 2 months" then you are selling 3 kits. If you say "takes 2 weeks" you are selling 6 kits.

Completely agree. Plus add in that more people will buy kits if they think it only takes a week. More people buying more kits, not just people buying more kits. Its part of the reason why in a few months, people who got starter kits for Christmas will have them listed on Craigslist or EBay. They aren't committed to the time it takes, not realizing that once you build up a supply line, you can easily be swimming in beer.

^ seconded..or second seconded!

kits are designed to attract people and try to make everything easy. if you were trying to make a sessionable beer that's sweet, follow the kit instructions...but otherwise take away from this forum the benefit of all those that brewed before us.

Are you sure your kit isn't telling you to put it into a secondary fermenter? Ether way your kit should be fine as long as you let it ferment down to your FG before bottling. Up to three weeks in in the primary wont effect the taste of your beer. I would wait at least 10 more days and check the gravity again.

I think you misunderstood, but thanks for the help. I am not having trouble nor seeking advice... I'm just kinda ranting and proverbially commiserating with those poor folks that blindly follow the kit advice without knowing any better and up drinking garbage.

I definitely SEE how this could be the rationale, and it certainly may be the driving force behind what they do, but to make that seems counter intuitive. I mean, I think the average consumer would be FAR more likely to purchase a 2nd and a 3rd truebrew beer kit, if their 1st didn't taste like ass water. I would think that the simple extra week it takes to ferment wouldn't turn people off nearly as much as a good tasting first brew would turn people on to a product. Who knows, but it is certainly strange to me that the instructions are so garbage.

While those things may be true from one perspective,I think they're still shooting themselves in the foot. with such short times,the beer would come out less than intended or expected. That to me would be why some give up. Or wind up here asking WTF?? It's a two way street,& I think the kit manufacturers need to see this aspect of what they're doing.

I have to wonder though. These kits are "processed". Who knows what they do to the malts/yeast or what they add/remove in chemical vats before caning it.

While those things may be true from one perspective,I think they're still shooting themselves in the foot. with such short times,the beer would come out less than intended or expected. That to me would be why some give up. Or wind up here asking WTF?? It's a two way street,& I think the kit manufacturers need to see this aspect of what they're doing.

I agree with those statements too. But, as a whole, people are very un-smrt and many probably think 'well, its bad because its homebrew and I can't do what the 'big boys' do', when in fact they can but don't realize it. There is also a large population of people who brew on occasion, but aren't as enthusiastic as some of us, so they don't want to invest the time in learning 'advanced techniques' or the money on equipment. We also live in a society focused on 'instant gratification'. Grill a burger or go to McDonalds? Make meatloaf and mashed potatoes or go out to eat? You get my point..

I'm guessing the kit manufacturers have seen your aspect but came to the conclusion they can make more doing what they do now, rather than focusing on making 'better' beer. If 1 company did, they probably wouldn't do well because someone would say 'this kit says it takes 3 weeks and that kit says 1 week.... I'm going with the 1 week beer'. Heck, they could take the exact same kit, print the words 'premium series' and just change the time and raise the price and end up with 'better' beer.

Echoes my senitiments. but it's no excuse to mislead folks. there are laws against misleading advertising. But non of these folks push the point. Over & above the fact that home brewing really started in America during prohibition. So it's not a new idea. They'll sell more kits till this home brewing hobby that's already getting big grows even larger. Then the powers that be will likely come to bare.
There should be some moderation of how they market kits so that people will have a better idea of what they're in for.

Bugger that 1 week foolishness. I bottled an APA in 10 days once, worst mistake ever. 1/2 of yeast on the bottom of the bottles. Cloudy as all hell, tasted fine after a month and a half in the bottles, but was over carbed a bit.

Current APA, left for 5 weeks in primary, 4 weeks in bottles, crystal clear, crisp, refreshing beer. I have seen very few instances so far in my limited brewing experience where more time was anything but a benefit to the beer.

There's absolutely no reason that an average gravity beer should take more than 7 days to reach FG. Now, if we're talking clarity or flavor development, that's another story. Bottling in seven days should not result in bombs if you pitch the proper amount of yeast and oxygenate your wort.

Well,that's the thing,kits don't get into pitching rates,stir plates,software,etc. Many brewers don't. Just because your process takes longer doesn't mean the beer won't be any good. That pitching rate stuff just gets it done faster,not necessarily better. You need to get accurate temp control as well to complete that picture.

There's absolutely no reason that an average gravity beer should take more than 7 days to reach FG. Now, if we're talking clarity or flavor development, that's another story. Bottling in seven days should not result in bombs if you pitch the proper amount of yeast and oxygenate your wort.

Not necessarily. I have had a couple that were still active at 8 or 9 days. I am at 12 batches and have been making starters since the 3rd. I do ferment at the cold end of the yeasts range. I did not take a gravity reading until week 3 but the krausen had not fallen and, OMG, I'm going to say it.. The airlock was still bubbling away.

Also what about stuck fermentations. If you just bottled at 7 days without checking the gravity you would never know and are just asking for trouble.

I just don't understand the rationale behind it! My first brew was a true-brew Belgian kit. The instructions said to ferment one week before racking to the bottling bucket. I never intended to leave it for only one week, but out of curiosity took a reading at 1 week. It wasn't even close to FG. Had I followed the instructions, my brewing efforts would have been for not and I may have ended up making bottle bombs. I KNOW kit instructions are awful, but why? Why would so many kit instructions be so bad and give such ridiculous directions? I sincerely feel bad for anyone who relies on them for their first brew.

I experienced the same thing with my first kit which was a true-brew pale ale. The results were less than spectacular. I have since used kits from other compays where the instructions has esentially double the fermentation and bottle conditioning time frame.

Back