Beer It Forward

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just randomly stumbled across Mike Hess Brewing of San Diego. Its actually my brothers name, so it just caught my eye. It looks like they have a nice beer list.

Hess is quite solid. Enjoyed a few of their beers when we were in San Diego this past summer. Would love to get more Umbrix at some point.

There should be an all can version of one of these so much easier and less expensive to ship. Also kind makes the hunt that much more fun. Seems more and more breweries are canning nowadays.

**meant to post this on the emaw thread...however I guess it could apply here.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There should be an all can version of one of these so much easier and less expensive to ship. Also kind makes the hunt that much more fun. Seems more and more breweries are canning nowadays.

**meant to post this on the emaw thread...however I guess it could apply here.

I am guessing that would allow people living near Vermont to try canned beer from all over the rest of the country.

Seems around here anyway most of the breweries are shifting to cans. A few still prefer bottles. I believe canning equipment is quite a bit cheaper. Could the aluminum be the reason why more don't use cans? I would think the cost of the cans would be cheaper than glass but could be wrong.

Seems around here anyway most of the breweries are shifting to cans. A few still prefer bottles. I believe canning equipment is quite a bit cheaper. Could the aluminum be the reason why more don't use cans? I would think the cost of the cans would be cheaper than glass but could be wrong.

Cans (custom print/minimums) and canning equipment are actually quite expensive compared to bottles.

Used bottling equipment is usually readily available. Used canning systems are difficult to come by.

My first BiF has been wrapped up and dropped off. It is due to arrive at its new home ~430pm Wednesday afternoon. I just hope the Buffalo snow I sent with it makes it that far south.

Depending on how far south, everything stops in Memphis as far as snow and ice.

It is funny 2 hours north, there will be ice and snow, 45 minutes north there will be snow, and the only thing we have here is disappointed children.

Depending on how far south, everything stops in Memphis as far as snow and ice.

It is funny hours north, there will be ice and snow, 45 minutes north there will be snow, and the only thing we have here is disappointed children.

That's okay! Two weeks ago my friend that lives ~10 min. away got 7 feet of snow and I got about 7 inches. It looks like it is going to be a mild winter for us. At least it will make for some nice days to brew outside.

Thanks @sompls !

View attachment 239965
Solid box of Minnesota love for absolutely no reason whatsoever!

L to R: Bauhaus Wonderstuff Neo Bohemian Pilsner, Bent Paddle Black Ale, Surly Furious, Silvius Belgian style Pale Ale, Schell's Snowstorm Grand Cru, Surly Coffee Bender (aka crack), Indeed Daytripper, and Castle Danger Brewery APA. Also included some local news so I can keep up on Twin Cities culture and current events. :)

Mind blowing generosity. Thanks man.

Already drinking the Daytripper, and looking forward to getting into the rest.
View attachment 239971
I will pay it forward to an undisclosed porch at an undetermined future date!

Wow. Not sure how I missed this the other day, but I just found two more beers at the bottom of the box!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418128455.141403.jpg
Steel Toe Size 7 IPA and Brau Brothers Test Positive.

Thanks again sompls

Is it Wednesday yet!?? Just a reminder my first BiF gift is on its way to someone straight south from me. It should arrive roughly around this time tomorrow afternoon to help ya get through the rest of your week :mug:

Nice bif sompls. It puts my modest package to shame. I even bought a special one that I forgot to wrap, and didn't notice until I got home from FedEx.

Nice bif sompls. It puts my modest package to shame. I even bought a special one that I forgot to wrap, and didn't notice until I got home from FedEx.

Dude there ain't no shame in shipping out some tasty treats to somebody you don't know! :)

Is it Wednesday yet!?? Just a reminder my first BiF gift is on its way to someone straight south from me. It should arrive roughly around this time tomorrow afternoon to help ya get through the rest of your week :mug:

I hardly call it modest! This is amazing and I'm stoked. I wanted to bust out your IPA but knowing how I man-handled the box, I needed to give it time to settle. I opened the southern tier ipa instead to murder with this sandwich I just made. Thank you so much and the cook book was a great touch. I know what I'm making first.

Thank you again for the very generous box of beer. Thank your wife too as her name was signed to it as well. :)

ImageUploadedByHome%20Brew1418235727.926423.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418235759.496762.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418235796.399742.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418235811.821309.jpg

I hardly call it modest! This is amazing and I'm stoked. I wanted to bust out your IPA but knowing how I man-handled the box, I needed to give it time to settle. I opened the southern tier ipa instead to murder with this sandwich I just made. Thank you so much and the cook book was a great touch. I know what I'm making first.

Thank you again for the very generous box of beer. Thank your wife too as her name was signed to it as well. :)

Just inhaled my coffee at work when I read "murder with this sandwich" lol... I guess ya didn't find the ugly winter hat :cross: Finsfan mentioned you liked snow, but since ours was melted I couldn't send you any.

I love the Southern Tier IPA, I only wish I could make them as crisp as that. You're the first homebrewer to try my IPA though, feel free to give me the dirty truth so I know what I can do to fix it.

Hope it gave ya a smile today at least :mug:

Just inhaled my coffee at work when I read "murder with this sandwich" lol... I guess ya didn't find the ugly winter hat :cross: Finsfan mentioned you liked snow, but since ours was melted I couldn't send you any.

I love the Southern Tier IPA, I only wish I could make them as crisp as that. You're the first homebrewer to try my IPA though, feel free to give me the dirty truth so I know what I can do to fix it.

Hope it gave ya a smile today at least :mug:

It sure did! It is great. Is there a hat in there? I'll go check. I kicked my finger using a knife most improperly trying to open things fast. I get beer mail and I am suddenly so damn impatient! I love everything about that box. Thank you again. Oh and great job with packing. It was perfect.

Yeah sorry about the massive amounts of tape. I might have been a lot nervous about shipping beer for the first time. I wrapped the funk out of those things. My wife was laughing at me as I took package into FedEx though. She said I was flush, legs were shakey lol.. It felt so illegal. Nobody even said hi to me when I went in though. I just sat it on the scale and they said thanks bye... So, painless I guess. I need to send you the one I forgot to put in there anyway.

FedEx actually took all three boxes, 17, 16 and 16 pounds each and carried them in for me because I have an air cast on and it was raining. I could have managed, but I came in to get the cart and the guy just helped me. Never asked a question...by now I would have thought they would want to know. :D

Some FedEx guys are nice. I kind of miss it... or at least I miss all the dogs on my route, they were all so amazing. They would all jump right up into my truck and get themselves a treat. Oh to not be stuck in a cubicle.

im6jpw.jpg

Sammy... he may have been my favorite. I'm so glad everything made it okay. It feels good to give a little.

View attachment 241002
View attachment 240998
View attachment 240999
View attachment 241000

Hey man that's a solid BIF! Great job!

Thanks man ! I could've done better it was just little unnerving sending beer for first time. Love it now! Let's do this!

Thanks man ! I could've done better it was just little unnerving sending beer for first time. Love it now! Let's do this!

any beer that is received as a gift from a thoughtful person (stranger in most bif cases) is a good thing and i feel that the thought/gesture far out weighs the volume of beer that was sent. and besides like all HBT people..Beer alway puts a smile on my face and brightens my day!:D

BTW...great job on the bif....it worked.

I agree, I had doubts that I was doing justice. Just the fact that there are people willing to take the time to ship beer to someone out of the blue is enough despite the volume.

Sent from the future using neurological impulses.

I have the beer, the box and the shipping material for my BIF... but I'm waiting until after I ship the Not So Secret Santa Box first.... of course money gets a little tighter around the holiday season when you have kids... and beer to ship!

I didn't send beer, but I did gift a membership to someone last night. I felt compelled after reading a post where he implied that he was not employed. Hope he enjoys it. so I guess it was a MIF ( not to be confused with MILF)

Agreed. Hoping to gift myself a membership if my bank account survives the holidays. Solid gesture man.

Latest posts

Back