Beer In Alaska

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plastic Brewkettle

Reaction score
Just got back from a whirlwind tour of south eastern Alaska. So I saw about .0000001% of it. Anyway, Alaska has a lot of beer. Most places we went to eat had many beers on tap, which was good. However, once I looked at the list I noticed that there were a bunch of IPAs, several beers with fruit and other unwanted additives, a few ambers, and (usually) a single stout. First, what's with the over-popularity of IPAs? I'm not a fan of 12 oz of Centennial per 5 gallons of wort. The ambers were drinkable but not stellar. The stout (Pipeline was the only one I had) was pretty good. Where were the brown ales and Scotch ales and such? They had a bunch of Belgians but I don't like those either. Don't tell me I'm too persnickety because I know that already. Anyway, a place with that much beer can't be all bad.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1656195642496.jpg
    FB_IMG_1656195642496.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 0
When we went to Alaska a few years ago my favorite brewery was devil's club in Juneau; I remember them having a good variety.

Darker beer styles tend not to be as popular. Alaska with a small population base probably isn't going to stock something that isn't going to sell within a reasonable timeframe

A couple of the breweries that I visited in Anchorage had a decent selection.

The one I visited most was 49th State Brewing.
I enjoyed most of the selection there, although I didn't care for Sprucesplosion which was made with spruce tips.

Just got back from a whirlwind tour of south eastern Alaska. So I saw about .0000001% of it. Anyway, Alaska has a lot of beer. Most places we went to eat had many beers on tap, which was good. However, once I looked at the list I noticed that there were a bunch of IPAs, several beers with fruit and other unwanted additives, a few ambers, and (usually) a single stout. First, what's with the over-popularity of IPAs? I'm not a fan of 12 oz of Centennial per 5 gallons of wort. The ambers were drinkable but not stellar. The stout (Pipeline was the only one I had) was pretty good. Where were the brown ales and Scotch ales and such? They had a bunch of Belgians but I don't like those either. Don't tell me I'm too persnickety because I know that already. Anyway, a place with that much beer can't be all bad.
You needed to travel farther into the State- Denali Brewing is here in Talkeetna they have a good stout. 49th St has some good beers as well.

Darker beer styles tend not to be as popular. Alaska with a small population base probably isn't going to stock something that isn't going to sell within a reasonable timeframe
Not true we have some good dark beers and the truth be known we have a number of home brewers who brew stouts, and scotch ales. In fact I am brewing one right now.

That looks like a very weird place, all the people have their hats and coats on inside the bar. Dead animals on the walls and lots of guns. Looks great, I'd love to go there.
It's not like they have winter parkas on, just some summer weight coats. It was the middle of August. :)
The Red Dog Saloon, Juneau, Alaska. If you're in Juneau, you have to go there.

reddog.png

Last edited:
We got back from a trip to Alaska a little over 2 weeks ago. I'll second Devil's Club Brewing in Juneau. 49th State and Glacier Brewing in Anchorage is also good with a good selection

49th State, Midnight Sun, Anchorage Brewing, Turnagain, Magnetic North(homebrew like)

King Street had a sweet view of the whole city due to being like 4 stories, but the beer was not worth the stop

Anchorage Brewing by far.... Sour Heaven

My wife and I went on an Alaskan cruise. The stop in Skagway, we hung out as long as we could at Skagway brewing. As @enkamania mentions, the spruce tip beer was novel to me, but so scrumptious. Probably not to your liking though as it was very IPAish. The other Offerings there were excellent too. I do prefer strong flavors though. Many persnickety folks like more subtle flavors.

That's pretty much every place, not just limited to Alaska. :D

Back