Beer Garden Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbbn

Reaction score
So probably the odd one out here, but I threw some rhizomes in the ground around my fence a couple years back to add some "ambience" to my little backyard biergarten. Hoped they would grow decently enough just to add some color to the area but they took off and went crazy. I do a bit of threading them through the fence to help them out but by-and-large they just do their own thing. They have been growing so well, my fiancee jokingly (maybe) expects we'll see them coming in through the basement any day. Anything I need to know with these essentially wild hops going forward? This pic is the "backside" from where they are planted (even crazier growth on the other-side) and from today (mid-June) so I expect they have a fair amount more growth before putting out cones.

IMG_9652.jpeg

As others have said... cool look!!!

Anything I need to know with these essentially wild hops going forward?
As far as i know, the only thing to know is... when (or if) it comes time to removes them... have fun! They are wild weeds from what i know.
I dont think they will mess with your basement. They tend to go up and sideways.

As others have said... cool look!!!

As far as i know, the only thing to know is... when (or if) it comes time to removes them... have fun! They are wild weeds from what i know.
I dont think they will mess with your basement. They tend to go up and sideways.

That was my experience last fall. Took an afternoon and hacked down all the dead bines. Took a little time but wasn't bad and it's been having such a verdant area during the summer (especially as the state/country is otherwise burning up in this drought/heat wave).

Latest posts

Back