Beer Fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucket Head

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It’s fall in Queens, and I could brew something at 50-60 degrees in my garage. Any recommendations on a recipe that makes a good beer at that temperature?

Any recipe could be good in that temperature range. It would depend on the yeast used, not the recipe. Nottingham dry yeast works good (and clean) down to about 55F. Look at the temperature range of the yeast you want to use. Hint: It is much easier (and cheaper) to raise the fermentation temperature a few degrees than to cool it. No refrigerator needed, maybe an aquarium heater to warm it just a bit.

I'll add I've had good results every time with common yeasts like Safale 05 US Ale and 04 English Ale, both down to 50 ambient temp with no extra equipment. Since you might see those for sale most commonly.

Since any recipe will do, this is what I am brewing this weekend, I just did the math today so it is at my fingertips. It's (ahem) a "smaller" 5% ABV adaptation of "Putin is a d#*@" from Pravda brewery.

Ukrainian Brewery shares all - Brew For Ukraine

3 gallons, 1.046 OG, 27 IBU

4 lb Pilsner malt
3 oz Munich malt
1.5 oz Wheat malt

Mash 150 for 45 min, mash out 160

5g Magnum (14% AA) 60 min boil
12 g Perle (8% AA) 20 min
12 g Perle at flameout
1 oz coriander at flameout (optional)
0.5 lb sugar at flameout

US-05 or any ale yeast

Dry hop if desired with 1 oz Saphir (4% AA) for 2 days

Have a great time :)

++ on the 34/70 — that’s the perfect temperature for it, and even if the temperature jumps around or goes up or something it’ll deal pretty well.

I like malt-forward lagers — doppelbock, rauchbier, Baltic Porter — particularly for 34/70. Rauchbier is my favorite. Make a rauch!

Back