Beer clarifiers for 1 gal batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmanuez

El Chingón
Reaction score
Anyone know what type of clarifier I can use for brewing 1 gallon, EXTRACT batches? I read you’re not supposed to use Irish moss with extract. I’ve used Super-Kleer KC on my 5 gal batches but I need something for small ones. Thanks for reading! 🙂

I always did, and still do use, whirlfloc in my occasional extract brew. I probably use less than a quarter tablet for 1gallon brews.

Last edited:
Super F comes in a bottle ready mixed and you can draw up as much as you need with a syringe.
1 gallon batches clear pretty quick though if chilled.

John Palmer’s ‘How to Brew’ doesn’t recommend Irish moss/Whirlfloc on extract worts. I must’ve misinterpreted. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Thanks to everyone for the answers.

In my experience irish moss is overrated. Having said that I still use im derived whirlflock in every batch 10-3 gallon i've brewed including extract...

I would assume that an extract beer would not get much benefit and any lack of clarity is coming from post ferment. I would add a cold crash and gelatin step.

if you're brewing 1 gallon batches you probably don't drink too much, time works great.....
There are reasons people do 1 gallon batches. Some people live in apartments where they don’t have space for all kinds of brewing equipment. Some guys just starting out do it. Some guys do experimental batches in a smaller size. There are several large threads on here full of people brewing small batches.

I’m north of 60 now. I imagine one day I’m not going to be able to lift 5 gallon buckets and heavy brew pots full of liquid. I will probably go to smaller batches to keep brewing. Hopefully that won’t happen to me for a while yet. But eventually, time gets all of us.

There are reasons people do 1 gallon batches. Some people live in apartments where they don’t have space for all kinds of brewing equipment. Some guys just starting out do it. Some guys do experimental batches in a smaller size. There are several large threads on here full of people brewing small batches.

I’m north of 60 now. I imagine one day I’m not going to be able to lift 5 gallon buckets and heavy brew pots full of liquid. I will probably go to smaller batches to keep brewing. Hopefully that won’t happen to me for a while yet. But eventually, time gets all of us.
Exactly! Just experimenting here…

Best clarifier:

Drumroll....

Time!

I never needed to use one and don't see why I should potentially lose aroma with one. Irish moss doesn't add clarity, it is for creating a better hot break to remove more protein and fat but this does not impact final beer clarity.

I do one gallon batches of beer. All grain though, not extract. Patience works wonders on beer. Many of my brews go well over four weeks in the fermenter and some close to six... in the primary.

The only cloudy beer I've had is a batch that I bottled after only 8 or 9 days that showed no sign of bubbling in the beer and the FG was what I expected to hit. But to be honest, I didn't take two samples days apart to ensure that it was done.

This also was the only beer I tried doing something to clarify. I cold crashed it for three days.

It did however taste good despite the cloudiness. But let face it, just seeing the cloudy beer is a buzz kill.

1) time... gravity will eventually clear it for you
2) cold.....your fermenter should be small enough to fit in the fridge
3) serve your beer in frosted glasses and ignore the haze.

Anyone know what type of clarifier I can use for brewing 1 gallon, EXTRACT batches? I read you’re not supposed to use Irish moss with extract. I’ve used Super-Kleer KC on my 5 gal batches but I need something for small ones. Thanks for reading! 🙂

If you use steeping grains and extract then your beer is cloudy because of starches that come from the steeping grains.
In this case Irish moss would hardly help you (it works against proteins). I would recommend to add some basic malts
to your steeping grains. Well, actually, it is how I switched from extract brewing to full grains. I also use 1 gallon batch,
you can learn much more and do literally anything with your mash/wort/beer in this way.

Back