Be afraid.... (chanterelle beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denny

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
be very afraid...the Wee Shroomy....

003.jpg

this will be served out our club's booth on Club Night at NHC. More pics at http://s794.photobucket.com/albums/yy221/dennyconn/NHC 2012/

Sampled yet? I'd be afraid of a dirt-like flavor when "dry 'shrooming." Still, an interesting idea.

Yeah, I've sampled and it's freakin' delicious! A bit earthy, but mainly you get the apricot flavor of the mushrooms. I've made it 3-4 times before so I know what to expect.

Did you pick them fresh from the coast area. I've heard people score big on chanterelle
over there. Would you use them in a lighter style. The apricot flavor you mentioned sounds like it could work in a wheat or blond maybe ? Would you reduce the amount ?

Did you pick them fresh from the coast area. I've heard people score big on chanterelle
over there. Would you use them in a lighter style. The apricot flavor you mentioned sounds like it could work in a wheat or blond maybe ? Would you reduce the amount ?

I live in the coast range and in the past I've just walked out on to my property to pick them. I didn't get the beer brewed before it frosted this year, so I bought them from some neighbors. As to using them in other styles, you'd just have to use your "taste imagination" and try it.

Sounded really weird to me at first but the more I think about it , I have to try it.
I would think a stronger mushroom flavor would turn a dark beer brothy though. But chanterelle are pretty mild yes ? Could you share the recipe you did.

After fermentation do you cook those chanterelles or are they too mushy? Maybe sauteed or ending up in another dish.

Don't even want to imagine the taste! Needless to say I'd drink a few if hallucinations were promised

I really want a bottle of this maybe it is the Marker's Mark talking but hell I want to try it.

Sounded really weird to me at first but the more I think about it , I have to try it.
I would think a stronger mushroom flavor would turn a dark beer brothy though. But chanterelle are pretty mild yes ? Could you share the recipe you did.

Take a look around for Skotrat's Traquair House clone recipe...best homebrew wee heavy recipe you'll ever taste! Use Golden Promise malt and ferment at about 52-55F. When you make the beer, vacuum pack 2 lb. of fresh chanterelle mushrooms...that helps draw out the liquid. Then freeze them. After fermentation is complete, thaw the mushrooms and chop them up. BE SURE to pour all the accumulated liquid into the carboy long with the chopped mushrooms. Rack the beer on top and let it sit for 2 weeks. DO NOT succumb to the temptation to "sanitize" the mushrooms by adding vodka to them. I've ruined batches by doing that.

Take a look around for Skotrat's Traquair House clone recipe...best homebrew wee heavy recipe you'll ever taste! Use Golden Promise malt and ferment at about 52-55F. When you make the beer, vacuum pack 2 lb. of fresh chanterelle mushrooms...that helps draw out the liquid. Then freeze them. After fermentation is complete, thaw the mushrooms and chop them up. BE SURE to pour all the accumulated liquid into the carboy long with the chopped mushrooms. Rack the beer on top and let it sit for 2 weeks. DO NOT succumb to the temptation to "sanitize" the mushrooms by adding vodka to them. I've ruined batches by doing that.

Thanks Denny. This is on my beer to do list. :mug:

This is really interesting! I'm an avid mushroom hunter and chanterelles are hands down my favourite mushroom. Last summer I picked more than 60# of chanterelle :)

I have a couple of questions:

I dried alot of chanterelle last summer and powdered them and use as seasoning. how much of dried should I use? I'm thinking 3-4oz? (since shrooms is about 90% water)

Was 2# enough or one could use more without becoming overpowering?

thanks for sharing this was great inspiration :)

Never having used dried chanterelles in the beer, I have no idea how much to use. Sorry...I've worked up to 2 lb. over the years. Whether or not it's enough depends on how fresh and fragrant they are and how you prepare them. The vacuum pack/freeze/thatw routine is the best way I've found yet. I really think the vacuum packing is crucial.

Great thread. I've been consider a morel stout, but everyone keeps talking me out of it.

The problem I have is that I would need to boil the morels. Some people have severe GI problems from uncooked morels.

Maybe I could boil them in a small pan and pour the entire mixture into the secondary?

Its getting to be mushroom season here in MO. Has anyone brewed Randy Mosher's Nirvana Chanterelle Ale? He suggests the 'mushroom tincture' method with vodka. I'm guessing that you've had more success with just putting them in the secondary though?

Interesting thread. I've contemplated a mushroom beer several times but have yet to do one. This one sounds like a fantastic candidate.

thanks Denny for the info. I will try with dried first and with fresh this summer

How did it come out? I've been collecting and xryi g for a few months now. They are just so few and far between in GA to collect big stashes, so I dry as I go.

I brewed my first attempt at a Chanterelle Beer Yesterday.
The main batch is an Extra Pale Ale (15 gals), but for five gallons worth, I made adjustments and added my shrooms (see additions under "Chanterelle Saison":

XPA:
Malts

25 lbs pilsner
5 lbs wheat
5ml Lactic acid in mash (no other water treatment needed)

Ten Gallons Strike Water

Hops
1oz galaxy ( 14% AA) 60 min
2oz Saaz (2.8% AA) 45 min
2oz Saaz (2.8% AA ) 30 min
2oz Saaz ( 2.8% AA) 15 min

Yeast US-05
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Chanterelle Saison

Boiled in wort for 5 minutes:
1lb D 45 Candi Syrup
2.25 0z dried Chanterelles

Yeast: WLP 550

14.5 oz Vacuum Packed Frozen Chantrelles in secondary

Last edited:
This is really interesting! I'm an avid mushroom hunter and chanterelles are hands down my favourite mushroom. Last summer I picked more than 60# of chanterelle :)

I have a couple of questions:

I dried alot of chanterelle last summer and powdered them and use as seasoning. how much of dried should I use? I'm thinking 3-4oz? (since shrooms is about 90% water)

Was 2# enough or one could use more without becoming overpowering?

thanks for sharing this was great inspiration :)

Howdy! Did you end up using the dried Chanterelle powder?

I'm traveling to Europe to brew a collaboration with a friend and want to use the dried stuff as I can't travel with fresh.

My plan is to add them like dry hops.

Did this end up working out for you & how much did you add?

Back