BB IPA - FG seems a bit high...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nierika

Reaction score
Last night I brewed a nut brown ale. I needed to free up my primary, so I transferred my ipa to a secondary. Not thinking, I didn't take a hydrometer reading before transferring. The ipa was in the primary for 10 days, with a vigorous fermentation the first few days, so I (shouldn't have) assumed all was well.

I followed the given recipe but added 1lb of DME to up the alcohol a bit and also added 1oz of Nugget hops 15 minutes into the boil. I am also planning on dry hopping in the secondary. My OG was 1.067, and when I took a gravity reading last night it was at 1.026. I'm not really sure what happened. I thought with all that extra DME, the yeast would have some more sugar to feast on and was expecting something in the 7% abv range, but as it is right now I'm only at 5.4%

Maybe the yeast crapped out too soon? The beer tasted good, so I'm not worried about a ruined batch, but is re-pitching the yeast even an option now that the beer is in the secondary?

So which one are you worried about the IPA or the Brown? A recipe on the problem batch would be helpful, but I would not worry either way. if the 1.026 beer is the one you are worried about, it is most likely not done fermenting and will need more time to sit in secondary. It will drop more (depends on what strain of yeast for how much), but overall no worries, just let it sit for a while.

It was the IPA I was wondering about. The recipe is as follows:

6.6lbs LME
1lb DME
1lb Victory Malt 60L
8oz crushed victory malt
2oz Cascade Bittering
1oz Nugget Bittering
1oz Cascade finishing
Yeast that was supplied with the kit (not sure of the name)

Steep grains @ 160°-170° for 20 minutes
Heat water to boiling. Turn off heat and added Malt Extract
Bring water back to boiling
Add bittering hops, boil 55 minutes
Add 1tsp Irish Moss @ -15 minutes
Add finishing hops @ -5 minutes

Re-hydrated yeast and pitched @ 70°
Ferment temp was around 70°

The recipes OG was 1.050-1.055 and the FG 1.012-1.015 -> This was the gravity listed on the instructions (before I added the extra 1oz of hops and 1lb of DME)

Latest posts

Back