Bazooka Screens?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
Has anybody used a false bottom screen vs. a Bazooka screen, and seen a difference in efficiency? I use one of those stainless braided screens from the "homemade" mash/lauter cooler web page, and it seems to be working fine, no stuck mashes (even with rye and wheat brews). But, I'll be upgrading my system soon, and wondered if I should go with a false bottom, or the double sided Bazooka screen?
Thanks and Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

i know that this is way late, but i saw a 20% drop in my cooler mashtun, i am going back to the manifold. i was the single sided bazooka tube, not sure if that makes a difference.

i know that this is way late, but i saw a 20% drop in my cooler mashtun, i am going back to the manifold. i was the single sided bazooka tube, not sure if that makes a difference.

Depends...if you batch sparge, it should not make a difference. If you fly sparge, it might.

Depends...if you batch sparge, it should not make a difference. If you fly sparge, it might.
Exactly. Before knowing if someone has had success or not with a bazooka screen, it is important to know if they batch or fly sparge. I batch sparge and have had no problems with a bazooka screen. For normal gravity beers, I achieve between 78-80% brewhouse efficiency.

I made a false bottom from the Stainless Steel Braided Faucet Connector you see for toilets. I fly sparged and got 75% efficiency. Now, I've only used it once, so I'll see if I can get that again on my next brew.

I used both in my old mash tun, I always fly sparged. I saw no noticeable difference between a bazooka screen and a false bottom. Maybe 1%, but that could just be a fluke.

I would also say that sparge efficiency is less important than conversion efficiency, which has nothing to do with your lautering apparatus.

I switched to a bazooka tube about 6 months ago after getting tired of numerous stuck mashes. I fly sparge and couldn't be happier with the bazooka screen.

i batch sparge and i guess there could be a number of reason's why i dropped in efficiency, but i think i am going back to the manifold just to see if i recover any efficiency...50% is too low i gotta tinker with it to get it back closer to or over 70%. 80% would be better.
the bazooka screen was the only think that i changed for this one particular brew.

Back