Bayou Classic Steamer BIABucket w/ Stainless Cloth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you could convert a Bayou Classic Stainless Fryer/Steamer (the inner basket) into a Brew In A Basket by lining the interior with 100 Micron Mesh Stainless Steel Woven Cloth or the like?

Here is the Bayou Steamer I'm talking about - http://amzn.to/2ldhE6N

I'm not sure about ideas around attaching the cloth to the basket but just wondered if anyone has tackled this or thought about its possibilities?

I want to get into Stainless BIAB but the $200 is not in the budget.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, I do essentially the same this, but I just buy the cheap 5 gallon paint strainer bags and line the basket with that. I normally get several brews out of a bag before it needs to be replaced and they're $6 for three bags.

100 micron would be too tight of a weave. 400 is ideal, but no tighter than 300.

100 micron would definitely be too tight if you're planning to recirculate with a pump. I'm not entirely sure it would be too tight for a simple system where all you want is the basket to gravity drain when you pull it out.

Here's what one guy did:

Ditching the bag in BIAB

While not exactly what you may be thinking, it's as close as I've seen. I've wondered if I could cut large sections of the holes in the basket out and line it with stainless mesh. Maybe rivet (you can get stainless steel rivets) it in with some of the cut off pieces used for backing.

Back