Bayou Classic SQ-14 & keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
I have searched and subsequently gotten confused at all I've read...

so, I have been using the turkey fryer kit set-up for a year now and just recently picked up a few kegs. I'm assuming that the turkey fryer will be insufficient in using with a keggle. I found that my local Ace Hardware carries the SQ-14 for $49.99...how does the SQ-14 do with a keggle?

I like the idea of the banjo burner, but not sure on how much waste there is in regards to propane and don't feel like shelling out another $100 or so and hearing it from SWMBO...

Eventually I'm gonna do a single or 2-tier stand, so that may play into the decision on what to do.

Works great for me on 5 gal batches. Haven't done 10 yet.

I used an SQ-14 to bring 14.4 gallons to a boil on Saturday while doing a 10 gal batch of BierMuncher's Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale. Took a while to get to a boil, but easily maintained it for the 90 min boil.

So my choices are an SQ-14 or buy a banjo burner and regulator and weld up my own stand for it...which is better?

I don't care for the burner on the SQ-14 I changed it out from one of my turkey fryers looks like this one below. I just bought the Banjo Burner from here banjo

Cost 74$ delivered .

burner 2.jpg

I've done 12 gallon batches in a keggle on my SQ14 without any issues... the burner listed above (standard jet burner) doesn't work as well IMO... I own both of the burners listed in this thread...

I've done 12 gallon batches in a keggle on my SQ14 without any issues... the burner listed above (standard jet burner) doesn't work as well IMO... I own both of the burners listed in this thread...

the problem I had with the burner on the SQ-14 was if I tried to turn it up the flame would dance from the burner and even blow itself out . Even Bayou classic says the one I pictured will produce more heat than the fry burner that comes with the SQ-14

I have the stainless version and have no complaints regarding heat up time, wind or noise.

I fact I used it with my smoker the other day and it worked great on that turned way down for 5 hours.

I've never timed how long it takes 14 gallons to boil but it seemed appropriate with how much liquid I was heating. I think a big help is to have the flame on low for the whole sparge and slowly turn it up as your BK fills. I have had my wort to a boil before the sparge was complete and I had to back off on the flame.

Linc

Agreed... The key to doing larger batches is heating up your first runnings as you sparge. Thats the same with many people do it on tiered brewing systems...

I still can't figure out which way to go...I know the SQ-14 will work for 10 gallon boils using a keggle, I guess the big question is whether the Banjo Cooker/Burner is worth it. It is slightly more money and will eat more propane, but I think I could live with that in exchange for quicker heating times (initial strike water heat-up and boil, I can still use my turkey fryer to heat sparge water while waiting for the mash). With a 2 year old and a fairly demanding SWMBO, time is very important for me, even if its only 30 minutes.

So, all things being equal...

How much quicker do you think heating times be (SQ-14 vs. Banjo)?

How much more propane will be used (SQ-14 vs. Banjo)?

Thanks for your input so far,

Considering that I own both of these types of burners, and use them both on brew day, I'd suggest the SQ14 if you want an all around good burner. You save money on propane, and the heating time difference is negligible.

Does anyone have any comparison data between a Banjo and 55k BTU -esque burner for a 5-6 gallon boil? I'd be interested to see what the difference really is.

I always feel a lot of times we get caught up in the marketing expectations without considering the real performance.

I'm not really sure what kind of comparison data I could provide you with that would be empirically acceptable. I could try using two keggles on the two different burners and time how long it takes to get to a boil, but I won't be brewing for another week.

Actually Anthony, that would be sweet...won't know how much propane was used, but will give an idea on heating times.

Back