Bayou Classic SP10 a little rusty. . . problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
So, I'm a bad, bad homebrewer. I left my Bayou Classic SP10 burner out in the wet weather for a few months. Stupid townhouse with no place for storage for MY stuff! :mad:

The frame is a tad rusty and the burner is as well; neither of which bother me too much. I figure they'll be okay like that. I lit it up and it seeemed to be fine.

My concern is the hose seems to have some (maybe a bit more than some) rust on the braid. I assume that's just stress-relief or heat shielding and there's a rubber/plastic inner hose of some sort and I shouldn't stress about it. But I'd hate to be wrong and have it burst and blow up on me mid-brew. The integrity of the braid seems fine. It's not crumbling or anything.

I really need to get the tall SP10 since I'm stepping up to a keggle and will be gravity draining into my fermenter. For the time being, however, I can't step up to the taller model so I'll probably be brewing on this older one.

Should I be concerned?

Amazon has a hose replacement, but I'd hate to waste the $20 if I could help it.

i dont think so. just bont burn the rubber. That stuff is thick as hell! mine has no braid.

I use the SP-10, too.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless I smelled gas. Check before you light it. It does have a rubber inner hose. The hose on a gas grill is basically the same thing and they often don't have the braided steel sheath.

That was my suspicion. Not too concerned. But didn't want to put my face down near it to sniff it for gas while it was burning either. ;)

My fermenters are 10 gallon corny kegs, so I need to raise this thing up by about a foot. I'm thinking I can just put two or three cinder blocks under it for the time being. I ultimately want to dump this one on Craigslist and get the tall model, which should be just the right height.

Probably ok, but I consider that a replacement every few years if stored outside would be a good way to spend $20.

Back