Bay Area (SF) Beer Week Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I am part of that?

Yeah, that made me laugh, too. Good quip by matedog.

How old are you, Tosh? Maybe we met and I forgot (very easy to do with the brown outs), but I don't think we have. Or maybe we have and I just didn't know you were "Tosh".

Yeah, that made me laugh, too. Good quip by matedog.

How old are you, Tosh? Maybe we met and I forgot (very easy to do with the brown outs), but I don't think we have. Or maybe we have and I just didn't know you were "Tosh".
matedog is the only local who I have actually met, I must pull 40 off pretty well I guess.

40? Whippersnapper...

297.png

I'm coming up for this next weekend, and for all you experienced people, what's the SARA event at City Beer going to be like? Will I need to line up hours in advance, or can I head in an hour or two before it starts and just hangout until it does?

I'm coming up for this next weekend, and for all you experienced people, what's the SARA event at City Beer going to be like? Will I need to line up hours in advance, or can I head in an hour or two before it starts and just hangout until it does?

Just my opinion, but I think you can show up 15 minutes before it starts and you will be OK...

This is great news.
It can go both ways. That's usually fine, but not always. It will be much crazier if they bring bottles to sell (hoping they don't). If you don't care about getting to try everything, arriving an hour after start might be your best bet.

Just my opinion, but I think you can show up 15 minutes before it starts and you will be OK...

When I drove past the event last year, the line was creeping toward Folsom/8th. And that was shortly after the event began. I don't have knowledge about seating capacity at CBS, but at least you'll have Cellarmaker as back up.

When I drove past the event last year, the line was creeping toward Folsom/8th. And that was shortly after the event began. I don't have knowledge about seating capacity at CBS, but at least you'll have Cellarmaker as back up.
Seating capacity at CBS is like 10 people. The place is not that big. (Though, to be fair, there's a lot of standing room.) It was even crazier before they expanded...

I avoid CBS events like the plague. If you're fine with a lot of waiting and crowds, then go for it. You might get lucky and it won't be crowded, or you might end up with neckbeard tickling your back all night.

Just follow CBS on Twitter/Instagram, and soon as it's posted that West Ashley has kicked, you should be able to walk right in.

Seating capacity at CBS is like 10 people. The place is not that big. (Though, to be fair, there's a lot of standing room.) It was even crazier before they expanded...

I avoid CBS events like the plague. If you're fine with a lot of waiting and crowds, then go for it. You might get lucky and it won't be crowded, or you might end up with neckbeard tickling your back all night.
Typically, I'd just go to Sante itself rather than making the trek to the city, but a friend is dying to check out the event and, since I moved out of the area, I'm up for it too. I really hope waiting's not too much of a nightmare—I've never liked how packed CBS gets.

Bummed about that lineup. Was hoping for some solid but, not hyped to the point that it would make for a super crowded event, offerings. Instead it's a lot of lesser beers from breweries I generally enjoy.

Like really what can we do to convince you not to do this.
Well, I'd actually be driving from Capitola—staying in Santa Cruz tomorrow night and heading to the city on Saturday. If it's too much of a nightmare, I'll probably just head to Cellarmaker. I'm thinking I'll probably actually get to Sante on Sunday.

Bummed about that lineup. Was hoping for some solid but, not hyped to the point that it would make for a super crowded event, offerings. Instead it's a lot of lesser beers from breweries I generally enjoy.

Yeah, that's nowhere near as good as last year's lineup.

Well, I'd actually be driving from Capitola—staying in Santa Cruz tomorrow night and heading to the city on Saturday. If it's too much of a nightmare, I'll probably just head to Cellarmaker. I'm thinking I'll probably actually get to Sante on Sunday.
You also have Mikkeler bar walk able, but not super recommended, from City Beer. They should have a solid tap list all week.

EDIT: Meaning, not recommended to make that walk. Can be a bit...Crackheady at times.

Last edited:
You also have Mikkeler bar walk able, but not super recommended, from City Beer. They should have a solid tap list all week.

EDIT: Meaning, not recommended to make that walk. Can be a bit...Crackheady at times.
That walk is fine. Anyone who can't handle it will be as weirded out by certain denizens around Cellarmaker, too. Just walk up 7th Street or 5th Street rather than 6th and it will be fine.

Oh, I've done it before. A lot of those people really seem to like crack.

I think we were both at the same dinner. Were you there for the random Mocha Wednesday pours at the end? Pretty sure stupac2 was there, too.
I was there, in fact this year is the first one I've missed. I don't remember Grey Monday pours, but it was too much food for my wife so we had to leave pretty soon after it ended.

Back