Bavarian Yeast... Possible Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twobrosbrewin

Reaction score
First time to brew a lager.... and a couple of questions have arisen.
The yeast(Wyeast Bavarian Lager) smelled funny(bad) when opened and the pack didn't really swell like previous ones. I had heard that some lager yeasts produce an odor usually sulfurous so I didn't really sweat the smell.
Its been four days since pitching and no activity except for a mild fluctuation between positive and negative pressure in the airlock. I think this could be due to temp change in the fridge and from me opening and shutting the door to check it.
Anyways I was curious if I need to take any further steps or just keep waiting... this is my first lager so I'm not really sure what to expect from the fermentation.
I plan on taking a hydro reading on Fri. and I was also thinking about ordering another batch of yeast and pitching it as well.
Essential details:
Yeast- Wyeast Bavarian
Wort- NB Bock Extract Kit
OG- 1.056 room temp
Procedure- Smacked the yeast pack 4 hours before, cooled wort to around 60F, pitched straight from yeast pack(no starter), placed in fridge at 46F, raised temp in fridge slowly over next couple of days to 50F.

I am not 100% sure, but I have heard of some people having problems with their lagers and a long lag time. The hydro reading is a good idea. Also, lager yeast is bottom fermenting and you will not see krausen, so don't be alarmed.

Back