Batch sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessej122

Reaction score
When batch sparging what's the usual amount of time you let the sparge water sit with the grain?

I usually add my sparge water, stir like my kids lives depended on it and then let it sit for 5-10 mins.
Drain and repeat (I double batch sparge)

All you are doing is rinsing off the remaining sugars off the grain to drain so letting it sit is really not necessary but stirring the crap out of it to knock all the sugars off is necessary.

I stir, and only let it sit long enough for it to stop moving. Then vorlauf and drain to the BK.

Yooper said:
There isn't any reason to let it sit. You stir in the sparge water, stir it like it owes you money, vorlauf and drain. That's all that is needed.

And yet again the wise Yoop's sage advice shaves time off my day.

I did my first AG this weekend and had a buddy there when it was time to sparge who is experienced.

My process was such... Do a first running into a container. Pour back into MT. After the runnings are clear of grain (as much as possible) I run as much as I can into kettle. Then add 170-180 water to MT. Let sit for 5-10. Repeat process until I get the quantity i want.

For my first AG i was able to get 72% efficiency which I thought was pretty good the first time.

I did my first AG this weekend and had a buddy there when it was time to sparge who is experienced.

My process was such... Do a first running into a container. Pour back into MT. After the runnings are clear of grain (as much as possible) I run as much as I can into kettle. Then add 170-180 water to MT. Let sit for 5-10. Repeat process until I get the quantity i want.

For my first AG i was able to get 72% efficiency which I thought was pretty good the first time.

I would invest in a brix refractometer which you can measure the gravity of the wort you are draining off with only a few drops. I batch sparge usually two to 3 times untill i get a gravity reading between 1.010 to 1.015 on my refractometer. Then at that point i measure what my initial boiling volume is and then make boiling time adjustments based on that volume for I can hit my volume that goes into the primary.

The refractometers you can get for 20$ on ebay and are a very handy tool if you are doing all grain

I stir well without splashing to avoid hot side airation then let mine sit for 10 minutes, as advised by John Palmer. I sparge only 1 time. I have check the runnings at the end on a few batches...1.014-1.015 consistently. So, I don't even check anymore to save time..I just sparge once.

Last bacth I did double batch sparge, the first time stirred a lot and begun vorlauf almost immediately, second time waited about 3 minutes before starting to drain. First time wort was very unclear, second time almost clear. So I thing you just need the time for grains to settle down for a better filtration. 3/4 minutes is enough in my experience.

When batch sparging what's the usual amount of time you let the sparge water sit with the grain?

Zero minutes. I have done much experimenting with this and found nothing gained by letting the sparge water sit.

If you're doing more than one batch sparge, you 're either wasting time or need a bigger cooler.

Time on the grain (agreeing with virtually everybody) isn't important.

Stir, stir and stir.

Oh and don't be shy on the sparge water temp. Some batch spargers seem scared to use hot water. I routinely use 200 degree water to get the grain bed up to 170 ish. I don't get tannins, and I feel getting sugars into solution is easier the hotter the water is...

I ALWAYS get into the low 80s for mash efficiency batch sparging (until the beers start getting bigger). Denny Conn's (and Yooper of course) offer the best advice.

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Word.

Zero minutes. I have done much experimenting with this and found nothing gained by letting the sparge water sit.

If you're doing more than one batch sparge, you 're either wasting time or need a bigger cooler.

I will agree with you on the on the waiting - the waiting has no impact on the rinsing of the grains, but if you wait a few minutes you will let the grain bed settle once again which means less of a vorlof is needed.

I will have to disagree with you on one batch sparge - especially for higher gravity beers. I have found breaking the sparges up into 2 to 3 steps i have achieved much higher efficiency. Also when doing a batch sparge you run the risk of pulling in tannins which can add cloudiness and unwanted bitter flavors into your beer. I usually do a two step sparge and run wort until i have a OG of 1.010 to 1.015 coming out of my mash tun. A refractometer comes in handy as all you need is 2 to 3 drops to take a measurement.

I will give a single batch sparge a try on my next brew this weekend.

Why does BeerSmith break it up into 2 (sometimes 3) sparge steps? Is there (or was there ever) a perceived advantage?

missed that one as I was posting simultaneously.

So BeerSmith just assumes that we are not going to stir well enough the first time and get enough sugars.

I will agree with you on the on the waiting - the waiting has no impact on the rinsing of the grains, but if you wait a few minutes you will let the grain bed settle once again which means less of a vorlof is needed.[/QUOTE]

That will depend on your lautering system. With no waiting, it seldom takes me more than a few cups of vorlauf to get clear runnings.

I will have to disagree with you on one batch sparge - especially for higher gravity beers. I have found breaking the sparges up into 2 to 3 steps i have achieved much higher efficiency. Also when doing a batch sparge you run the risk of pulling in tannins which can add cloudiness and unwanted bitter flavors into your beer. I usually do a two step sparge and run wort until i have a OG of 1.010 to 1.015 coming out of my mash tun. A refractometer comes in handy as all you need is 2 to 3 drops to take a measurement.

I guess I'd have to know how high a gravity you're talking about. For me, up to maybe 1.080 or a bit more, I don't see a drop in efficiency. Also, a single sparge pretty much eliminates the already very small chance of tannin extraction. I've tried multiple sparges quite a few times and haven't found an increase in efficiency worth the effort of doing it.

I will give a single batch sparge a try on my next brew this weekend.

Why does BeerSmith break it up into 2 (sometimes 3) sparge steps? Is there (or was there ever) a perceived advantage?

Keep in mind that Beersmith is a tool to help you brew the way you want to brew. It is NOT instructions on how to brew. That's up to you.

Learning a lot here! I would sparge with 190 degree water, stir like crazy and let sit for 10 minutes before doing vorlauf. This will save a bit of time!

Debating with Denny on batch sparging in akin to debating with Plato on Socrates.

I respect other people's opinions and experiences, but after batch sparging 443 batches I have a lot of experience of my own to draw on. In addition, since almost no one was batch sparging when I started doing it and writing about it, I've done a lot of experimentation with various techniques.

Learning a lot here! I would sparge with 190 degree water, stir like crazy and let sit for 10 minutes before doing vorlauf. This will save a bit of time!

No, you're wasting time by waiting 10 minutes! And don't go crazy on the stirring...stir thoroughly but not wildly.

I usually do a two step sparge and run wort until i have a OG of 1.010 to 1.015 coming out of my mash tun. A refractometer comes in handy as all you need is 2 to 3 drops to take a measurement.
With batch sparging, if your stir enough and run off quickly, your gravity won't change from the beginning to the end of the lauter.

Yes I know Denny, I've read much of what you've written and watched you on YouTube. I meant it as a compliment.
Thanks to your contributions, my transition to All Grain went smoothly!

Yes I know Denny, I've read much of what you've written and watched you on YouTube. I meant it as a compliment.
Thanks to your contributions, my transition to All Grain went smoothly!

Thank you for your kind words! I guess my point was that while I don't discount other people's experiences, I have a lot of my own experience that often explains what's happening with them. We can all learn from each other.

Latest posts

Back