Batch size/Mashing times/Tº ramps length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzalito

Reaction score
Hi people.

So, I´ve been brewing beer for some months now, and my batches have come around from 5 to 10-12 gallons.

So this is my doubt.

How badly does batch size the process (by lengthening Tº ramps)? Also, what should i do about recirculation?

I mean. First time I ever brew I did something like 5 gallons. They came out good.
Last time I made about 10 gallons, temperature ramps where noticeable longer, but mashing steps lasted the same, and beer come out good as well.

If I were to batch 20 gallons, what then? Ramps would be super long compared to mashing steps..

Should I try to maintain temperature ramps as short as possible? Is there a "standard" on how many times should I recirculate the wort volume? Right now the pump I use can reach like a gallon/minute (i think it should be higher).

I am not sure what you are asking. If you are asking about multiple steps in temperature during a mash, the length of each will make some difference. If you want a drier beer keep the cooler steps longer, if you want a fuller body, sweeter beer raise the temperature of each step and make the warmer steps longer. You will have to experiment to find out what you like.

If you are getting to a mash temperature and keeping it steady, you want to reach that temperature before adding the grain and the strike water.

I don't recirculate but if electric you have to make certain that you don't draw out water too fast and cause the element to run in a dry condition. That could burn out the element.

I think you are concerned more with keeping the temperature steady and have no temperature stratification in the mash than how many times the wort is circulated.

If you are talking how long to get to strike temperature, that doesn't matter. Post mash to boil, you want to be as quick as possible. If it takes a long time be sure to do a mash out, then boil. I don't think the timing is very critical unless it gets to more than an hour. Even then??

Well, my equipment is automated so temperatures are controlled via sensors, heating is provided through a gas burner, and heat transmission is enhanced by constant wort pumping. There are no issues there.

My thoughts come from varying the working volumes inside a "fixed" hardware. When I brew a small volume everything happens rather quickly.

When I brew a larger volume, Tº ramps are noticeable longer compared to the specified mash step length and specific volume recirculation is also reduced; here is where I was having doubts. How badly can it affect the results?

Back