Batch Number 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zak

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought a Beer Equipment Kit True Brew kit that came with a ingredients for a Pale Ale. ( 6lbs Light DME, 1/2lb Carapils Grain, 1/2lb Crystal 20L Grains, 1oz Phoenix Pellet Hops, 1 package SafAle Yeast, tsp Brew Salts, tsp Irish Moss, 1 5oz Dextrose for priming)

Sunday, December 18th around 6pm I started brewing. Instructions called for bringing 2 gallons of water with the Brew Salts to 160 degrees Fahrenheit, stabilize the temp at 155, ad grain bag, and steep for 25 minutes. After steeping I took the bag out, poured a cup of hot water over the bag, then added the DME. After bringing the wort to a boil (potential screw up #1 the wort boiled over), turned it off and added half the hops. 50 minute boil, added the other half of the hops and Irish Moss for another 10 minutes. After an hour from the first time I added the first batch of hops, turned the heat off, and poured into the fermenting bucket with 3 gallons of cold water. It took about 2 hours to cool the mixture down to 80 degrees (which is the minimum temp listed in the instructions before pitching the yeast [potential screw up #2, too long to cool/pitch yeast at too high a temp]) Original gravity was 1.050 at 80 degrees. Because it was late and I hadn't read the instructions that well I drained out all the sanitizing solution I had made and did not put any in the airlock as the instructions stated (potential screw up #4, no Iodophor solution in airlock) Put in fermenting bucket and store in my closet. I placed a thermometer on top of the fermenting bucket and check the temp regularly (constant 68 degrees the 19th - 22nd). I got off early the 23rd, checked on the temp in my closet and it dropped to 62 (potential screw up #4, fermented below 66-75 degree recommendation) The instructions called for the brew to be in the fermenting bucket for 7 days, mine spent 7 & 1/2 before I bottled on Monday the 26th. I took a gravity reading just before bottling of 1.011 at 70 degrees. The last bottle didn't fill completely, so I drank it. It tasted a little hoppier than what I thought a pale ale would have been and had something I could only describe as a sour taste. The instructions call to bottle condition 7-10 days.

Questions about my first brew.
#1 - of the potential screw ups I've noticed, could any of them account for the sour taste I noticed before bottling?
#2 - since I haven't tasted the bottled product (bottles are on a closet shelf until at least Monday, at which point they are going to be chilled before consumption) could the flavors I noticed pre-bottling change?
#3 - I'm ready to start my 2nd batch. I've been reading on these boards about fermenting time and was wondering, am I doing anything wrong if I keep it in the "primary" longer than the given time on the instructions. Granted they didn't have the same brand of kit so this time I got BrewcraftUSA instead of True Brew which gives a longer brewing time.
#4 - any other advice you could give to a new home brewer? (not RHAHB, mine won't be ready til for another few days as far as I can tell)

2- yes it will change a lot from bottling time till time to drink, if you try one and they are still there let it sit longer... it will get better

3- yes you can let it sit longer... there are quite a few people on here who only primary and leave it sit for a month or more.

4- other advice.... RDWHA(microbrew) lol but really the best advice i got when i started was when you think its been long enough... wait longer it will be better!

Thanks for the follow up. I'm starting my 2nd batch now. The instructions state to put the hops in a hop steeping bag. Is that necessary?

#3 I only primary ferment my beers. I wait until they have been done showing signs of fermentation for abaout 3 days then I bottle. I let them condition in the bottle for 3 weeks in the dark at room temperatures then I place them in the fridge for a week. After all that time the tastes are all refined and the carbonation is perfect.

#3 I only primary ferment my beers. I wait until they have been done showing signs of fermentation for abaout 3 days then I bottle. I let them condition in the bottle for 3 weeks in the dark at room temperatures then I place them in the fridge for a week. After all that time the tastes are all refined and the carbonation is perfect.

So should I ignore the instructions that say to only bottle for 7-10 days? Does it matter that I'm making an IPA or is bottling time universal?

does that mean you are supposed to take the hops out before putting the wort in the fermenting bucket?

as much as possible is recommended. again there are people who dump the whole thing in the fermenter with good results, I personally let it settle a little while then transfer leaving as much of the hops/ break material as possible. I still get some which is expected.

You also might want to invest in a funnel with a filter. That way you can filter your wort as you put it into whatever fermenter you use and it will filter out the hops. This method also help to aerate your wort before fermentation.

I may be an addict now, thinking of starting a batch of black ipa cause it is hard to find here. I do realize I will have to probably buy a secondary for it. Does anyone have advice for a noob who is going from pale ale recipes to the black ipa's? Is it just a case of changing malt/gains from a normal ipa or does it take more?

I dry hopped my pale ale right in the fermenter and I'd dry hop an IPA the same. Make sure the ferment is over and the yeast has settled before you add the hops. I used pellet hops and just dumped them in the beer but I'd use a paint strainer bag next time to control where the hops end up.

I may be an addict now, thinking of starting a batch of black ipa cause it is hard to find here. I do realize I will have to probably buy a secondary for it. Does anyone have advice for a noob who is going from pale ale recipes to the black ipa's? Is it just a case of changing malt/gains from a normal ipa or does it take more?

i have a pretty decent extract w/grains recipe for a BIPA in my recipe pulldown. listed as 'great cda' i've since brewed it a few times w/some tweaks and it's stellar.

a black IPA/CDA is basically an IPA with a touch of dark malt, i use carafa II dehusked. the hopping is more intense (higher IBU) than an IPA as well to stand up to the touch of roast that the dark malt adds. really, a great style and fun to brew, IMO.

Back