Basement Buikld-out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
Since I've moved past the price issue, I thought I'd start a separate thread for the rest of the build out. SWMBO has finally agreed to start the build. I'm suspecting this is going to take a while to complete.

Still laying out the design for the brew room, I can only get approximately 8 1/2 x 13' for the room so using Kal's design as sort of a guide I'll be about 32.5 sq ft smaller. My problem is two-fold: stairs in the middle of the basement and allowing room for the well head / sump area ( currently setting aside 4.5 x 13 ).

We spent most of the weekend with the BIL on layout and existing issues that need to be corrected before starting the walls as well as just going through junk and cleaning the area out. We will have to dig up the floor in two areas: drain for the brew room and move the shower drain that was roughed in incorrectly.

So here are a few pictures of what it looks like right now, excuse the junk and mess we are still working through all of the junk and crap we have accumulated over the past 30 years.

Preliminary work next up:

1. Seal west and north walls with water proofing. There are no signs of water leaks and the plastic film test showed no moisture.

2. relocate water line for laundry room and add hook ups for water lines into brewery.

3. Replace existing 100 amp service box in basement with a 36 slot 200 amp box.

4. Dig up floor for new drain line in brewery.

5. Dig up floor and move shower rough in drain.

IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

We cleared 2/3 of the wall area and started applying a waterproof sealer, when we went to open the 2nd and 3rd cans LOL we found out they have been frozen and looked like glue instead of thick paint. Lowes is replacing the two and giving us a third at no cost for our trouble so I'm not going to complain a whole lot. As it turns out, the cold water line from the well head is directly above where the new wall will go for the brew room and we can tap into an existing hot water line as well less than 7' away.

Next up is to continue cleaning out all the old junk and crap, finish sealing the wall and install the 1/2" rigid foam board along the wall. We still need to move the waterline that is just visible above the outside wall. We will bring it approximately 1' inside the studs above the drop ceiling that will eventually be installed.

Attachments

• IMG_2517.JPG
    IMG_2517.JPG
    813.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2518.JPG
    IMG_2518.JPG
    770.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2519.JPG
    IMG_2519.JPG
    861.6 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Back