Base Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your favorite clean yeast for primary fermentation?

Do you mean for the intention of souring/funking later? If so, I think wyeast munich lager produced the most interesting sour beer. I used it in primary for my flanders style ale.

In general though most people seem happy with something like US-05.

I have been pitching all of the microbes up front, but I've typically used a Belgian sacch strain (depending on beer style).

I'm planning to do an American sour using Conan as the primary sacch strain. Hoping for some peachy esters.

Us-05 have a low enough attenuation? Do you feel different sacch yeasts create different sour tastes or just get the sugars down to a point where the dregs can finish and funk it up?

In my experience, if you are relying on pediococcus to do the souring, any standard ale yeast leaves enough fermentables behind to produce a nicely sour beer. I have also pitched lacto in conjunction with a regular sach strain, and they too become acidic after a while.

As far as funk goes, there is evidence to suggest that brettanomyces can reduce vinylic phenols to the saturated alkyl phenols. Depending on what substrate you are talking about, the alkyl phenols are considered an important part in the classic "brett" aroma/ flavor profile. This is why a lot of people prefer to ferment with belgian type yeasts because the peppery and spicy notes we find with these yeasts are usually vinylic phenols. The thought is these penols produced by the primary strain will make it easier for brettanomyces to produce its classic funky character.

However you can still get an equally funky beer with a plain sach strain as long as you give it enough time.

Latest posts

Back