Barrel bung has foam... Normal, yes or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_4933.JPG

The Gravity was stable and cask was sanitized I have not removed the bung, but this very slow leak is happening. The taste of the leaked beer is not sour, nor the aroma. I'm just wondering what is going on. By the way, this has been a week and will be bottled in a day or two.

It just means fermentation is continuing in the barrel, for whatever reason. Sometimes stirring it up in the transfer to the barrel can put the yeast back in suspension and get them working again.

I should say it's possible that it's Brett, which wouldn't necessarily make it sour but might make it funky. How was the barrel treated before you put the beer in it?

Hot water to rehydrate the wood, then once it was holding water reasonably well I used campden. Then before the transfer I used starsan, and made sure to slosh and roll it around to work it into the charr. The little leaks that I have tasted and smelled seem really good, so I’m thinking the brew inside is tasty, though perhaps not concentrated by evaporation. It is a bourbon cask.

Latest posts

Back