Barleywine Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscostew

Reaction score
A friend of mine wants me to brew a barleywine for his wedding which is Oct 25th. The earliest I'd be able to brew this batch would be 4th of July weekend, does this leave enough time for a barleywine to age if I were to keg for the wedding? Or should I brew a different style beer instead?

It should be enough... With 6 weeks in the primary that might be too long and 10 weeks in the keg or secondary... Anyone else wanna chime in?

I'm at week 6 of primary for the barley wine i brewed at the end of april, and while I wouldn't call it 'finished' I could see drinking it by september. I plan on oaking mine after a little time in the secondary without it. If I wanted it done quickly I would probably go right onto the oak.

I think you may be able to get it in right under the wire. Maybe age it with a vanilla bean or two to try and mask any sharp alcohol taste that may not have time to mellow out?

I've seen barleywines come in around 7% all the way over 10%. I guess it depends more on the abv for us to properly give you an answer. If it is on the low end, you could pull it off much easier than if higher.

Back