Considering brewing my first barleywine and doing my first partygyle at the same time... Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
So I have gotten a wild hair to brew my first barleywine. I have chosen an NHC medal winning recipe for the attempt, so I don't have to think about recipe creation. I have attached a copy of the recipe below.

So far my strongest beer has been about 7.5% abv. That beer went well and was very tasty, but going from a 1.070 OG to an 1.113 is a pretty big jump and my research has shown there are a number of technical pitfalls that could arise just in the brewing of this 1 beer. I guess because I am a glutten for punishment I thought why not use the grist from this big beer to partygyle a second beer, maybe a dark mild or ordinary bitter? Am I crazy?

The barleywine has a 120 + minute boil, so as I see it I have the time for the partygyle and it could be done in a couple of ways. I could just keep things simple and sparge the grain into a second vessel, add a little dme if needed, boil, and be done. This would give me a dark bitter or a light, dark mild. Or I could take a little extra time to steep some dark malts to bring the color up and get a little more roasty flavors into the second beer and get closer to a real dark mild. This second option will take more time, will add complexity and will make the two boils a little more hectic. But it will potentially make the second beer more true to style and differentiate it from the barleywine more. And is more appealing of I have to be honest.:)

For those who have done a partygyle like this before what are the realities of what I am considering? Is it really worth the extra work, or should I just scrap the second beer and focus on making the barleywine? I have some additional questions about the barleywine aging and stuff like that, but let's start with this for now. Any thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers!

Attachments

• Seventh Coalition English barley wine.pdf
    864.3 KB · Views: 0
The parti- gyle is when you mix the 2 or more worts. If that's not the case it's a first running and second running.
I do both and for the second one I pick some flaked grains and a lb or so of a high DP malt and steep(mini mash) in the BK while collecting the sparge. I don't mash out the first mash so the enzymes are active ,but I add some more to be sure to convert the flaked grains.
When I make an RIS the second is either an Irish stout(add flaked barley and black malt) or a CDA ,add flaked rye,wheat and some pale ale malt.

The parti- gyle is when you mix the 2 or more worts. If that's not the case it's a first running and second running.
I do both and for the second one I pick some flaked grains and a lb or so of a high DP malt and steep(mini mash) in the BK while collecting the sparge. I don't mash out the first mash so the enzymes are active ,but I add some more to be sure to convert the flaked grains.
When I make an RIS the second is either an Irish stout(add flaked barley and black malt) or a CDA ,add flaked rye,wheat and some pale ale malt.
Thanks for the reply. My thought is to make 2 separate beers, so option 2 from your response. What is your new day like when you go this route?

Back