Bare Knuckle Stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ebay rules.

Last summer I was at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA and my wife and I had dinner at the Irish Pub there--in the pub they serve Bare Knuckle Stout, brewed by Budweiser in the New Hampshire brewery I believe. Its pretty good stuff. Real dry stout along the lines of Guinness. Anybody ever tried this stuff?

Well, I found a cool tap handle and 8 glasses on Ebay last night....I can't wait to get it for my new kegerator. Now I just have to brew another stout!

bkstout.jpg

orrelse said:
Ebay rules.

Last summer I was at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA and my wife and I had dinner at the Irish Pub there--in the pub they serve Bare Knuckle Stout, brewed by Budweiser in the New Hampshire brewery I believe. Its pretty good stuff. Real dry stout along the lines of Guinness. Anybody ever tried this stuff?

Well, I found a cool tap handle and 8 glasses on Ebay last night....I can't wait to get it for my new kegerator. Now I just have to brew another stout!

That's awesome! Didn't think Bud pulled anything like that, but hey...more power to 'em!!! I still think the mass produced commercial beers should put out a line of finer brews. Sure, it'll cost more, but I'd like to see what they'd be capable of....

NUCC98 said:
That's awesome! Didn't think Bud pulled anything like that, but hey...more power to 'em!!! I still think the mass produced commercial beers should put out a line of finer brews. Sure, it'll cost more, but I'd like to see what they'd be capable of....

Bud is trying that currently, with the one they call "select" I believe....I haven't tried the beer yet, probably will sometime just to see what its all about.
Years ago Miller tried it too. They had a brew they just called "Miller". It wasn't too much different if I remember correctly. Darker, slightly more malty version of High life.

I'm not one of those people that constantly denounces macro swill--I drink it. I happen to love High Life. I don't think there is a better beer on the planet on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn. I could care less for the light beers by Miller and Bud or most of Budweiser's beers in general, but I'm always open to trying it--or drinking it if there isn't anything else around.

Got it today....here's a pic of it installed on my kegerator....on the right is one of the 8 glasses it came with....
It looks even better than I imagined! :)

bks.jpg

i love the high life too :) it's best in those sexy clear bottles in the summer, just like you said!

t1master said:
i love the high life too :) it's best in those sexy clear bottles in the summer, just like you said!

Ahh, the champage of beers :) I'll admit to liking those for a mid-afternoon NFL game. I was raised on that stuff coming from Milwaukee... Also a Tecate with a lime at the pool is nice when it's 105+ out here (AZ). No stout or porter when its that hot!! Corona blows IMO though. I just can't imagine anyone liking that swill. I don't know if I've ever had one that wasn't skunked up.

Anyone out here ever try to reproduce the hailed "Champagne of Beer" before? I hear they don't use hops.....

Before I head out, we need to sit down and pull together a good stout recipe...to honor the new tap, if nothing else. We'll each provide 1 sixer of stout of our own choosing, to you know, help the creative process and stuff. :D

Sam75 said:
Before I head out, we need to sit down and pull together a good stout recipe...to honor the new tap, if nothing else. We'll each provide 1 sixer of stout of our own choosing, to you know, help the creative process and stuff. :D

LOL....I'm game! I want a nice dry stout this time though.

On another note--if we are honoring the Bare Knuckles guy--then what about this?

mabel.jpg

Does this mean we have to clone the Champagne of Beers too? ;)

(That's my latest Ebay purchase BTW--lovely Mabel!!!)

Heh....I suppose we could do a high-gravity lager and pitch some champagne yeast in the secondary. :D

Mabel looks lovely. She'd look good as a gearshift in my truck!

Yo, if my stuff makes it, I think Friday is going to be brew day. You down?

Found Bare Knuckle Stout at a new bar in the mall that just opened, called Baileys. I'm psyched!!!

I love this beer, and I'm not sure why. It is a stout very similar to Guinness but more "watery". Not sure why I like that but I do. If I could brew a beer like this I'd be psyched.

Great eye candy too, our waitress was absolutely smokin'. I'll be going to this place a lot.

:rockin:

Sam75 said:
In the mall? :confused:

Dude, the place rocks. Brand new place just opened last week, in the PH mall. Oddly enough Connor from St. George's (IPA is on tap there, BTW) old me it was open. It is gonna end up being my greene leafe. They have quite a few decent beers and I talked to the manager about getting some kind of specialty tap each month. He said it was definitely do-able.

It is kind of dark, and a nice atmosphere. I was highly impressed at the place. Not to mention fairly close to home.

Dredging this one up from the archives. I had BK stout yesterday at Sea World. It was awful. The first sip was promising...until it washed completely across my palate. It had a really strange metallic flavor that I just couldn't get over. Perhaps it was a bad keg or dirty lines, but I'd like to chalk it up to yet another disappointing attempt by AB to market "good" beer.

Right there with you Yuri- had it at Sea World for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was pretty nasty after it hit the back of my mouth. Metallic and maybe astringent. The girl behind the bar even said "if you don't like it, I'll pull something different for you" before I took the first sip.

I had the BK off a fresh keg at a bar near my house. It was OK - easy drinking. But, I have to say, not the best of beers - but a good beer to wean the BMC crowd into craft beers. I would drink it again - it may be IMO AB's best effort yet;)

I had the bare knuckle at Sea World in San Diego last summer. I'm in the "awful" camp. I didn't care for it at all. Very, very watery in my opinion. It tasted like they dropped a shot of good stout into a glass of bud light.

Dredging this one up from the archives. I had BK stout yesterday at Sea World. It was awful. The first sip was promising...until it washed completely across my palate. It had a really strange metallic flavor that I just couldn't get over. Perhaps it was a bad keg or dirty lines, but I'd like to chalk it up to yet another disappointing attempt by AB to market "good" beer.

I agree, this stout cannot stand with big boys on this one. I couldn't see someone who likes Guinness, Youngs, Rogue etc.....truly enjoying the BK.That being said if I was at the AB hospitality tent I would most likely order the BK or the Amberbock...

If anyone has seen the ads, AB is trying to give their beer that craft feel. This article explains it all, as most of us know already.

http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003680012

I sleep tight at night knowing that my most fav beers will never sell out.........hopefully. I wouldn't imagine that AB would continue to make Dogfish or Rogue in the same inefficient expensive manner in which they are made.

I was just down in Norfolk, VA for the weekend and had it. I thought it was ok, sort of like a slightly lighter guinness.

I love Guinness, Murphy's, Beamish, etc, and I love BKS too.

I had one today and it tastes just like it always has. I always described it as a watery Guinness. I think Bud did a pretty good job on it actually.

I love Guinness, Murphy's, Beamish, etc, and I love BKS too.

I had one today and it tastes just like it always has. I always described it as a watery Guinness. I think Bud did a pretty good job on it actually.

You said one thing right there...ah, Beamish...

I think the Widget wars have been fought and a clear winner has emerged. For canned, mass produced stouts, I proclaim Beamish as the clear winner...

For draft...we'll have to do another tasting, of course!

:mug:

Back