Third Comeback beer: STOUT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had to buy Ace Hardware toilet gaskets for my fermenting bucket to do it, but I am on my way. Stout wort is boiling now with an ounce of Kent Goldings.

The sad thing is that I'm not totally sure I want it. I drank a pub draught Guinness last night, and I kept thinking how much better homebrew and craft beer are. Guinness is light and a little dryer than it should be, in my opinion.

My old writings say I loved this stout, so I have high hopes.

Really nice to be back to brewing. Next up: orange lager with Crystal and Nugget, only I had to use Galena because my semi-L HBS didn't have Nugget.

Guinness is light and a little dryer than it should be, in my opinion.
It all depends on what kind of stout you’re shooting for… Guinness Draught is only a 4.2% ABV Dry Irish variety. Other than the color, it could almost be considered a “light beer”. The Foreign Extra Stout version has a higher ABV and different flavor. Then you have Deschutes Obsidian Stout or Old Rasputin, which are altogether different too. “Stout” is quite a broad category.

Guinness is very light indeed when compared to people's expectations which are based on the color, flavor, and mouthfeel. I remember learning about the low SG and calorie count many years ago.

It's sad when you outgrow a beer, but then it leads to better things.

I like a little more complexity and some sweetness in a low-gravity stout. I tried a milk stout the other day and found it disgusting, but I think Guinness goes too far in the other direction.

All stouts are not like Guiness. Dry Stouts are my favorite, and my favorite Stout recipe tastes nothing like Guiness, but is close to the same ABV. Export Guiness is ok, but doesn't compare to a good homebrew.
What did you find disgusting about the milk stout? When done well I love a good milk stout.

What did you find disgusting about the milk stout? When done well I love a good milk stout.
Guinness is very light indeed when compared to people's expectations which are based on the color, flavor, and mouthfeel. I remember learning about the low SG and calorie count many years ago.

I like a little more complexity and some sweetness in a low-gravity stout. I tried a milk stout the other day and found it disgusting, but I think Guinness goes too far in the other direction.
It wasn't me that said milk stouts are disgusting.

I found it clumsy and completely unbalanced. It was as if someone had created a stout for small children who couldn't appreciate bitterness.

I'm not saying it was a bad beer. I just didn't like it. I like sweetness, I like bitterness, and I like balance. I don't like most beers that are pure bitterness, and beers that have no bitterness try to come back up as I'm drinking. That's why I never liked Budmilcoors.

I found that I really like this milk stout recipe and brew it regularly.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/deception-cream-stout.141483/
I find that it improves immensely in the first 6 months, a bit more in the next 6 months and gets really smooth by the end of the second year. I've never had any survive more than 2 years, they all disappear. I think it is a better beer to bottle than keg as it ties up a keg for a long time.

Back