Bananas and Extra Dark Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fungaldorf

Reaction score
Hi guys first post here. Ive used a few brew kits, but this will be my first time using my own recipe and i want it to go well!

I was inspired by a recipe in a book called Sacred and Healing Herbal Beers or something like that..

Anyway, I am wondering if bananas, and one pound of extra dark malt extract will be enough to make a tasty brew. I plan on adding chocolate flavor prior to bottling as well to get sort of a chocolate chip banana bread flavor.

Any input will be welcome, please help me if this sounds like it will be gross.

Thanks!

Hi guys first post here. Ive used a few brew kits, but this will be my first time using my own recipe and i want it to go well!

I was inspired by a recipe in a book called Sacred and Healing Herbal Beers or something like that..

Anyway, I am wondering if bananas, and one pound of extra dark malt extract will be enough to make a tasty brew. I plan on adding chocolate flavor prior to bottling as well to get sort of a chocolate chip banana bread flavor.

Any input will be welcome, please help me if this sounds like it will be gross.

Thanks!

Hmm...not sure on that one. What size batch? Any hops?

Bananas and only a pound of DME? Even if you were making a 1 gallon recipe, that would be a very low abv alcoholic beverage which I would not even truly call it beer. If you added a whole lot more DME to it along with some bananas well, that would be better.....

I would be interested in your intended batch size.

Not really - Figure around 42 points per pound per gallon of DME, some residual sugar from the banana. A one gallon batch would be 4% abv ish. Some real low alpha hops at the start of the boil, add the cocoa nibs or whatever a couple weeks into the ferment. Maybe some S-04 or S-05. A one gallon batch. If you started around 1.042 -1.045 and went to 1.004 or so, it would qualify as beer. Not my sort of thing but probably worth a try if you like that sort of blend! Cheap enough - go for it.

ok guys heres what i did:

1 pound DME
1 pound plain wheat extract
1 cup brown sugar
5 or so bananas, mashed and cooked a little bit
steeped some toasted oats for a while then removed

and it turned out to be between 1 and 2 gallons.

smells great so far. any estimate of abv based on these figures?

Back