Banana cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afreitag

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew a banana cream ale. Any suggestions? Do they make a banana cream ale kit?

Just bouncing around some ideas here...

You could get a kit for a regular cream ale, and sub in a hefeweizen yeast strain, the yeast would likely impart some of the fruity banana esters that are typical in the style.

You could also look around and see if there is a banana extract or flavoring syrup that you could add near the end of primary fermentation.

I've never used whole banana before, I've used other fresh fruit. It can be pureed in a blender or food processor, heated on the stovetop to pasteurize (stir constantly or you can scorch/carmelize the sugars in it) cooled, and added near the end of primary or into a secondary.

Just curious, what's your base recipe? I've got an all grain cream ale that gets rave reviews from everybody who tries it.

I really don't know yet. I'm just wanting a cream ale with a banana flavoring. Tried some of Wells banana beer the other day and was wanting to brew something with banana flavor.

I've used fresh banana before in a hefeweizen (just to double down on the banana flavor). Take a full bunch of bananas, peel, mash (physically mash them up, not mash like grains), and let sit for about an hour. This helps break down the starches in the bananas. Add at the end of boil. You can also pasteurize and add to primary like Murph said.

You will definitely need an authentic German or Bavarian hefe yeast. These yeasts produce the banana/clove esters the style is known for. Fermenting higher (upper 60s) will get you more banana, lower will be more clove

You will also want to do a ferulic acid rest. This is done by mashing at ~113F for 10min before going up to the regular mash temp. This helps create compounds that the hefe yeasts turn into banana and clove flavors. Trust me, I did this with my hefe fermenting right now, and my entire chest freezer smells like bananas

Just throwing an idea out there for a recipe... I'm guessing extract with specialty grains since you posted in the extract section?

Steep at 155:
1lb Crystal 10L

Boil
6lb Light LME
1lb Corn Sugar

1/2oz Cascade @ 60
1/2oz Cascade @15

WLP300 - 2L Starter with one vial, or direct pitch two vials
Ferment 7 days at 68-72

Taste hydrometer sample, if stronger banana flavor desired, then:

Cut and smash up 4-6 bananas, pasteurize as above, cool, and add directly to primary

Ferment 7 additional days

Bottle or keg. No sense trying to cold crash or use finings with WLP300.

Back