ball lock fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyClay

Reaction score
Just ordered an extra set of ball lock disconnects and when it came in, the package said "LIQUID IN" & "GAS OUT". I was wondering does it make a difference? I figured the direction of flow wouldn't matter. If it does make a difference, what is the purpose of this type of fittings?

It does make a difference. I don't remember the exact configuration of the disconnects and you can swap them around however you'll have a heck of a time connecting/disconnecting at least one of them, maybe both. It does make a difference.

No, it's probably a misprint. There's no check valves in them or anything. Gray for gas black for liquid.

This. Direction of flow doesn't matter, but one's gas, one's liquid. They don't interchange. You try to put a gas fitting on a liquid post accidentally, and its going to, ahem....be a bit difficult to get back off if you manage to force it on. (Think screwdriver, hammer, hacksaw, and a lot of swearing - and a new gas disconnect).

They both go ON either post just fine. But if you're wrong, they are a **** ******** **** *** **** to get off!

ForumRunner_20131218_165824.jpg

This is what I ordered. Didn't realise it. What is the purpose of this?

Those are the quick disconnects that attach to your beer and CO2 posts on the keg. I assumed you were talking about posts at the beginning of this thread, I read to quickly.

As mentioned above, Black is beer, Grey is Gas. They each go on their respective post on the keg. These disconnects can accidentally be installed on the incorrect post but it takes effort and if you do get them to go it takes a heck of a lot of effort to get off as mentioned above. (Been there done that with my first keg)

The keg should have a stamping next to each post that indicates IN (CO2) and OUT (Beer) It's good to be famliar with the different physical aspects of each post becuase they are very similar. You'll want to be able to identify them after you've removed disassembled for cleaning and reassembled. The parts inside are interchangeable but not the posts themself. Here's a thread that might clear things up a bit.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/ball-lock-corny-keg-gas-vs-beer-post-137058/

Those are the quick disconnects that attach to your beer and CO2 posts on the keg. I assumed you were talking about posts at the beginning of this thread, I read to quickly.

As mentioned above, Black is beer, Grey is Gas. They each go on their respective post on the keg. These disconnects can accidentally be installed on the incorrect post but it takes effort and if you do get them to go it takes a heck of a lot of effort to get off as mentioned above. (Been there done that with my first keg)

The keg should have a stamping next to each post that indicates IN (CO2) and OUT (Beer) It's good to be famliar with the different physical aspects of each post becuase they are very similar. You'll want to be able to identify them after you've removed disassembled for cleaning and reassembled. The parts inside are interchangeable but not the posts themself. Here's a thread that might clear things up a bit.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/ball-lock-corny-keg-gas-vs-beer-post-137058/

I may be wrong, but I don't think we're on the same page lol. I understand that the fittings only fit their repective In/out posts. The fittings that I ordered suggest reversed flow. (liquid in) (gas out). Typically, one would not put liquid into the keg through the ball lock fitting. I want to know if there is a specific purpose for this. Maybe you have explained this already, and I'm too dense to figure it out. I apologize if that is the case.

I'm laughing at myself right now. Man did I go off on a wrong tangent. :eek:

Masonsjax nailed it in the beginning. The package has a typo.

That's what I get for not paying close attention. Been one of those days I guess.

Sorry to confuse a simple issue.

:mug:

Back