Bag WILL NOT drain. Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Assume it's 85% (it's certainly not going to be much stronger.) Dose with it as if it's 85%; check the pH if you can, mainly so you can add a little more if necessary, otherwise just see how the brew goes.

ihavenonickname

Reaction score
Holy **** this thread read like a horror movie at first… pull the bag and no wort… NO WORT!😱 brewers nightmare! Then it read like an edge of your seat who-done-it murder mystery! I thought for sure it was the “the butler” i mean the unmalted barley.

Kudos to @Bobby_M as usual, I’m again impressed by your customer service.

@HopsAreGood I still am stunned at how pale and creamy your beers look using 2-row. Do you use a short boil?

OP
HopsAreGood

HopsAreGood

Reaction score
Holy **** this thread read like a horror movie at first… pull the bag and no wort… NO WORT!😱 brewers nightmare! Then it read like an edge of your seat who-done-it murder mystery! I thought for sure it was the “the butler” i mean the unmalted barley.

Kudos to @Bobby_M as usual, I’m again impressed by your customer service.

@HopsAreGood I still am stunned at how pale and creamy your beers look using 2-row. Do you use a short boil?
I do, generally only a 15-20 minute boil.

OP
HopsAreGood

HopsAreGood

Reaction score
It’s possible others are more sensitive to DMS, but I have never produced a beer that smelled like the typical descriptors of said DMS.

Unless I’m specifically looking for the character that a 60 minute hop
addition provides, I see no reason to boil for 60 minutes.

I did 60 minute boils for years, and see no negative results moving to a 15-20 minute boil. If anything, I actually prefer the results more.

OP
HopsAreGood

HopsAreGood

Reaction score
DMS sensitivity (like every other compound afaik) definitely varies. I smell it coming off of every boil.
Exactly my point. I never smell creamed corn or whatever others tend to perceive as DMS, but we’re all different.

I will say that I prefer using 2-row to Pilsner to specifically avoid the possibility of DMS, considering the fact that I do only boil for 15-20 minutes.

As far as I understand, 2-row is modified enough more than Pilsner where
a short boil isn’t nearly as much of a concern.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
As far as I understand, 2-row is modified enough more than Pilsner where
a short boil isn’t nearly as much of a concern.
If we can say "kilned" instead "modified," I agree. I've never found anything definitive to say that higher modification (i.e. degree of germination) results in less DMS.

OP
HopsAreGood

HopsAreGood

Reaction score
If we can say "kilned" instead "modified," I agree. I've never found anything definitive to say that higher modification (i.e. degree of germination) results in less DMS.
Agreed...100%....

This is correct. ☝☝☝