Bag vs Basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horsepuncher

Reaction score
Outside of cost, what’s your experience of pros/cons grain bag vs basket. I’ve been leaning towards a basket because it looks sexier, but as wondering if there is any real advantage? If you have experience I’m curious of your thoughts.

Never used a basket. Imo a basket con is liquid volume outside the basket unlike a bag that is a true full volume mash.
With a basket, recirculating is beneficial to incorporate all the water to the mash, so imo a basket adds a deficiency that needs to be corrected, unlike a full volume mash with a bag.

Personal preference, I prefer the simplicity of a bag vs basket.

Bag is better for all the “squeezers”, even though I detest squeezing and prefer the effortless hang and drain.

Last edited:
I use a basket and recirculate. In my opinion the biggest downside of the basket is cleaning it, but I have never tried cleaning a grain sack, seems easier though.

I never used a basket but the Wilser bags are rounded on the bottom so everything drains to one point. A quick squeeze stops the draining for a minute allowing you to transfer the bag without dripping everywhere. Seems like a basket would continue dripping uncontrollable unless you waited a really long time before transferring.
Cleaning a bag is really easy.

Seems like to clean a basket you would need to take it outside and spray with a hose; not practical for apartment dwellers or brewing indoors during the winter months. I love my @wilserbrewer bag and I do squeeze it to reduce wasted wort.

Yeah it can be done with the sink sprayer but it is a pain. I'd say the most labor intensive part of my brew-day. Still not terrible but it is definitely a chore.

Yeah it can be done with the sink sprayer but it is a pain. I'd say the most labor intensive part of my brew-day. Still not terrible but it is definitely a chore.
If thats the case then the bag is the winner. After dumping the grains a quick rinse in the sink or tub to get the remaining grains out does the trick...very simple

It takes me literally 5 minutes to rinse the little bit of remaining grain out of the bag, then I hang it in the bathroom to drip dry. I was a stubborn adherent to disposable paint strainer bags until I saw how much finer and stronger the @wilserbrewer bag was. It made a huge difference in the amount of 'mud' I was getting in the bottom of my fermenter.

I do use a 6'x14" 400 micron hop filter I got from AIH during the boil and it is a major PITA to rinse clean after a brew. I would say that is probably the biggest chore in my cleaning routine. Lately I've been skipping the hop filter and just pitching the pellets straight into the kettle; though most of the trub ends up in the fermenter I haven't noticed a negative impact on flavor.

The only real downside to a bag is that you can't really get clear wort into the kettle with a bag. Many say it doesn't matter...I'm not convinced. I'll know more after I go back to a bazooka filter for a few batches.

Also, if you want to recirculate, bags don't drain as well without being lifted.

I'm surprised so many think a basket is hard to rinse. If outside the hose takes 10 seconds. If inside the sink sprayer takes 30 seconds. With a basket it's no problem to turn the element on or off as needed if doing electric.

It takes me literally 5 minutes to rinse the little bit of remaining grain out of the bag, then I hang it in the bathroom to drip dry. I was a stubborn adherent to disposable paint strainer bags until I saw how much finer and stronger the @wilserbrewer bag was. It made a huge difference in the amount of 'mud' I was getting in the bottom of my fermenter.

I do use a 6'x14" 400 micron hop filter I got from AIH during the boil and it is a major PITA to rinse clean after a brew. I would say that is probably the biggest chore in my cleaning routine. Lately I've been skipping the hop filter and just pitching the pellets straight into the kettle; though most of the trub ends up in the fermenter I haven't noticed a negative impact on flavor.

JayJay
I was wondeing if you recirculate with a pump?
Reason I ask is this:
I too have a hop filter and agree it is a pain to clean but I need to keep the hops out of my plate chiller.

The bags are fine, but I’ve had issues in the past with small rips/tears. It’s pretty easy to clean, but I had some issues washing the bags in the washing machine as well. Basically, the bag would pick up a bunch of lint.

My basket from Utah Biodiesel showed up yesterday, and I can not wait to get a brew in on it. I’ve got their hop spider, too, and it’s easy peasy to clean, just hose it out! I’m hoping/assuming that the basket will be the same. Dump out the grains, hose out the basket, ready to go again.

The bags are fine, but I’ve had issues in the past with small rips/tears. It’s pretty easy to clean, but I had some issues washing the bags in the washing machine as well. Basically, the bag would pick up a bunch of lint.

My basket from Utah Biodiesel showed up yesterday, and I can not wait to get a brew in on it. I’ve got their hop spider, too, and it’s easy peasy to clean, just hose it out! I’m hoping/assuming that the basket will be the same. Dump out the grains, hose out the basket, ready to go again.
Yes baskets are nice if you have an outdoor space to hose it out. I live on the 56th floor of a high rise and that is impractical. Do you take it outside for a spray out in january? Guess it depends on your local climate.

Yes baskets are nice if you have an outdoor space to hose it out. I live on the 56th floor of a high rise and that is impractical. Do you take it outside for a spray out in january? Guess it depends on your local climate.

Good point! California weather is kind on outdoor brewing/cleaning. I agree, though, I wouldn’t want to try to rinse this 20gallon-pot basket in a sink! I’m lucky enough to brew in my garage and just hose the baskets out in my driveway. If I was brewing in my kitchen, I’d probably stick with the bags as well.

Outside of cost, what’s your experience of pros/cons grain bag vs basket. I’ve been leaning towards a basket because it looks sexier, but as wondering if there is any real advantage? If you have experience I’m curious of your thoughts.

Having never used a basket, i can say it would seem a lot harder to squeezer the basket to gt those last drops of goodness like I do with a bag.

Good point! California weather is kind on outdoor brewing/cleaning. I agree, though, I wouldn’t want to try to rinse this 20gallon-pot basket in a sink! I’m lucky enough to brew in my garage and just hose the baskets out in my driveway. If I was brewing in my kitchen, I’d probably stick with the bags as well.

I hear ya!
I'm in SoCal here and spoiled rotten. I do every bit of my brewing on the patio and never enter the house unless I need a lost utinsil. The garden hose rules for cleaning everything! Even on the coldest days

Having never used a basket, i can say it would seem a lot harder to squeezer the basket to gt those last drops of goodness like I do with a bag.

I got a custom-made basket from Utah Biodiesel for my cooler and got a press plate to press out all the extra liquid. It probably doesn't help much if you BIAB (since I BIACooler, which allows me to drain the cooler and then press all the liquid out), but you can sort-of "squeeze" like a bag.

I enjoy my Wilser bag, and have no desire to get a basket. The bag is super easy to use, clean, and store.

Regarding squeezing, if you can rig up an overhead hoist point just let gravity fully drain the grains. What's left after that is not worth the effort required to squeeze it out. I've measured it, it's only like 1-1.5 cups.

I enjoy my Wilser bag, and have no desire to get a basket. The bag is super easy to use, clean, and store.

Regarding squeezing, if you can rig up an overhead hoist point just let gravity fully drain the grains. What's left after that is not worth the effort required to squeeze it out. I've measured it, it's only like 1-1.5 cups.

Yea but its 1.5 cups of rich thick wort. :)

Yea but its 1.5 cups of rich thick wort. :)

To all the devote squeezers, try hanging the grain bag and allowing to drain for 20-30 minutes after you get your squeezing fix, and I think you’ll get that same 1 - 1.5 cups of rich thick wort...

I believe squeezing doesn’t produce more, it only produces the wort more quickly:) with more effort.

Last edited:
My problem is patience. I like to replace the lid to get up to boiling temp fast. But then I usually pull the cookies out of the oven before their ready too.

But you make a valid point [emoji106]

I've made several batches with the Wilser Bag. What I've come around to is this. I've got an induction cooker and 10g pot I put on the floor in my kitchen. After mashing in the pot, I lift up the bag and let it drip for a minute (my workout for the day). I then have My Trusty Assistant place a a large, wide pot under the bag and we take it away. While heating the wort to boil, I pour 2 gal of preheated water into the second pot for a "dunk-sparge," let it sit for a minute. I then pick up the bag again and My Trusty Assistant places a large colander under the bag, which drains into the rinse liquid. NOW COMES THE SQUEEZING! As someone once said in one of these forums, "Squeeze it like it owes you money, because it does." When I think I've got most of it, the delicious nectar in the second pot is then added to the first and all brought to the boil. (Maybe I don't "need" the dunk sparge, but I "think" I do. ;) ) There's no muss, no fuss.

For cleaning, I simply fill the kitchen sink about 1/4 with water and swish the bag around to remove any Klingons. Same with the Wilser hop bags. I run them through the laundry on delicate cycle (with clothes is fine if you've done a good pre-rinse) and hang-dry.

It may sound like a rigamarole but honestly, it ain't no thang. It's for BEER for Godsakes.

I have a basket and when I’m done with boil, i fill up the BK with pbw and put basket in upside down and hop spider to soak over night, it doesn’t get everything, but 90% of everything drops out. Then i have to use my kitchen sink for the rest which isn’t ideal as i live in a 500 sqft apt and my kitchen is tiny...but it works! I used a bag for my very first brew about a yr ago and I personally hated it, thought it was difficult to get everything out of the bag and it made me nervous about using it going forward with infections. Now that I’m “more” experienced, I see that was a little silly. But I like my basket! Was using a cooler to mash, was extra time all around, this is nice and neat and shaved an hr or more from my brew day!

After mashing in the pot, I lift up the bag and let it drip for a minute (my workout for the day). I then have My Trusty Assistant place a a large, wide pot under the bag and we take it away. While heating the wort to boil, I pour 2 gal of preheated water into the second pot for a "dunk-sparge," let it sit for a minute. I then pick up the bag again and My Trusty Assistant places a large colander under the bag, which drains into the rinse liquid. NOW COMES THE SQUEEZING!

My routine is the same, except I squeeze before AND after the 'sparge'. I really don't need 90+ efficiency but I just can't help myself...

Does anyone who does basket really squeeze or press? or do you just calculate loss because its too hard?

I'm surprised so many think a basket is hard to rinse. If outside the hose takes 10 seconds. If inside the sink sprayer takes 30 seconds. With a basket it's no problem to turn the element on or off as needed if doing electric.
It is also possible to burn a hole in a bag when using a propane burner. Ask me how I know.

But full disclosure, that was operator error. In the past I had recirculated wort through the bag with a pump and never had an issue turning on a burner for a short period. That is, I never had a problem until I had a problem.

I use both. Bag inside a steamer basket. Keeps bag off the element. Hoist basket to drain. Then hoist bag out of basket to drain during the end of boil.

I meant hoist basket above kettle and something to rest it on the kettle rim. Then I hoist bag out of basket and let drain during the entire boil.

I guess I could hoist the bag directly and just pull the basket after? But the first way I’m able to grab the bag close to the grains and have a nice snug sack

IMG_5135.JPG
IMG_5137.JPG
IMG_5138.JPG

I'm adding an aluminum flashing liner to the basket that will close all the side holes so that I can recirc and force all the wort thru the grain bed. Some 12" roll I had lying around. Lowes or Home Depot stuff.

Back