Bag type?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syncman

Reaction score
Using paint strainer bags for mashing, and hops during boil. First time use of Fastferment 3G and I have cleared 4 x4oz jars of trub, Would a purpose made bag keep more gunk with the grains for disposal? Used mr Beer LBK till now, tilted back so faucet stayed clear of trub, for bottling.

Yes, a bag made of swiss voile has a much tighter weave and will be a much better filter. I use Wilser bags and am very happy with them.

Pretty much this ^^ If you're the adventurous type and aren't afraid of sewing, you could fashion up a bag with voile. Or the easy button and hit up Wilser for a bag.

Another vote for Wilser bags. I've got two, one for my small batches and one for my 5 gallon batches. Couldn't be happier.

A good bag is going to help. But also, after the wort has cooled let it sit for a little while to allow some settling then don't move all the wort to the fermenter. Leave out the thicker sludge at the bottom of the kettle.

I use a Wilserbrew bag. Way less trub than my old bag. Good price and quick delivery. https://biabbags.webs.com/ Type Wilserbag in the search here you will find only good reviews.
Yep...
Wilserbrewer bags, you wont be disappointed.
Yep...
Another vote for Wilser bags. I've got two, one for my small batches and one for my 5 gallon batches. Couldn't be happier.
Yep!!!
A good bag is going to help. But also, after the wort has cooled let it sit for a little while to allow some settling then don't move all the wort to the fermenter. Leave out the thicker sludge at the bottom of the kettle.
Why? Just curious as to your reasoning/ source of info. In my experience (brewing almost 10 years, about half of that BIAB) it didn't make any difference in my beers when I spent a lot of time and energy trying to separate kettle trub from wort. It all goes into the fermenter and clear, clean beer comes out!

Yep...Yep...Yep!!!Why? Just curious as to your reasoning/ source of info. In my experience (brewing almost 10 years, about half of that BIAB) it didn't make any difference in my beers when I spent a lot of time and energy trying to separate kettle trub from wort. It all goes into the fermenter and clear, clean beer comes out!

The OP was concerned with filling trub jars on his conical. If you don't put the trub in the conical it will not fill so many jars. If you are fermenting in a vessel where you transfer from above the trub then it makes no difference.

Wilser here as well.
I was going to try to make my own, but ordered a wilser bag instead.
So glad I did. Have lost count of the number of brews I have done with it.

Back