Bad Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Guitar

Reaction score
I just did a starter for my yeast, 1/2 cup dme & 4 cups of water, cooled it to 65, and pitched my yeast. Yeast was white labs wlp001 cali ale yeast.

So a day later, I see some stuff that looks like bad milk in your coffee in the flask on my stir plate.

Is this bad yeast?

Different yeast produce different types of krausens... including some we call "krausen CURDELS" that look like spoiled milik. Fermentation is ugly and stinky, even when it's normal...

AN "Infected" would forma a pellicule, NOT look like that.

One thing in these instances that always helps, is to actually post pictures of what you're concerned about.

Different yeast produce different types of krausens... including some we call "krausen CURDELS" that look like spoiled milik. Fermentation is ugly and stinky, even when it's normal...

AN "Infected" would forma a pellicule, NOT look like that.

One thing in these instances that always helps, is to actually post pictures of what you're concerned about.

Revvy - yep, it was just an ugly yeast. I could see the krausen in the flask, googled some pics of curdled yeast; so figured everything was ok. You're right, should have posted a pic....

At any rate, I brewed yesterday, pitched the curdled yeast and that batch is fermenting big time.

Thanks

Back