Bad Yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerUte

Reaction score
I just did a clone of Piraat Belgium last night. When I pitched my yeast it came out like a stiff foam. After 10 hours theres not alot if activity from the blow tube. What to do?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

10 hours is not nearly long enough to start getting nervous about "bad yeast"! Signs of fermentation can take up to 72 hours to show, and sometimes, if there is a bad seal or something on your fermenter, you may never see activity from your blow off.

Give it another 60 hours or so, and if still no activity, check back in. While you're waiting, make sure you have the fermenter in a location where the temperature is within your yeast's optimal range (for a beligian, you probably want low to mid 60s to start, and once it gets a few days into fermentation, you'll want to slowly warm it up a bit) Temp control during fermentation is key to getting good end results.

This hobby unfortunately requires patience...

Thanks guys. I've usually done wheats so they seen to be very active by morning...Ill just wait

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Back