Bad Drivers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong, self-appointed 'gatekeepers' in the fast lane tick me off too, as well as those idiots who fly by on the right no matter how fast I am going.
I usually pay little attention to posted speed limits and just keep 3-5 seconds of space in front of me. I'm on the freeway (65mph limit) for about 7 minutes every morning and often have to do 80mph just to keep up with the flow. I STILL get passed on the right.
I'd love to have a bumper sticker that read "Stop driving like an idiot BEFORE someone gets killed".

The whole left-lane-camping thing has reached pathological proportions now that it has actually become the "texting lane".
And don't get me started with Prius and pickup pilots that for some strange reason gravitate left and stay there while the rest of the flow works its way around them...

Usually the left lane campers that are going 10 mph under the speed limit are also oblivious to the fact they have their bright lights on, so when you finally can get around them, you get a mirror full of blinding light.

I'll pose mine in the form of a question.

You're making a left turn at an intersection with no left turn signal or delayed green (one where you just have to wait for an opening to make the left). Light turns green. Do you:

a) sit there behind the line, waiting for an opening. If none ever comes before the light turns red again, then either just sit there and wait for another cycle or make the left, technically running a red light,
or
b) move into the intersection, so the person behind you can also move in a little, so at least two cars (you and the person behind you) can get through the intersection?

This is mostly only relevant when the traffic is heavy.

Normally I would say B, but I've been watching waaay too many car crash/stupid driver/road rage videos. nothing good ever comes from B

here in the Commonwealth, you're SUPPOSED to clear the intersection before the light turns red, but cops rarely do dick if you don't. unless you cause or nearly cause an accident.

one of my brew club buddies, a Fairfax County cop, says you're OK if you entered into the intersection on a green, then your safest move is to wait thru the yellow and turn on the red, but a cop may still ticket you, if he's in a foul mood. if you entered the intersection on a yellow to beat the light, you'll get the ticket, & if you get in an accident at that point, the fault is both of yours.

then it comes down to if the person behind you (or behind them) entered the intersection on the green or yellow

I'll pose mine in the form of a question.

You're making a left turn at an intersection with no left turn signal or delayed green (one where you just have to wait for an opening to make the left). Light turns green. Do you:

a) sit there behind the line, waiting for an opening. If none ever comes before the light turns red again, then either just sit there and wait for another cycle or make the left, technically running a red light,
or
b) move into the intersection, so the person behind you can also move in a little, so at least two cars (you and the person behind you) can get through the intersection?

This is mostly only relevant when the traffic is heavy.
if there is no turn light arrow , the driver in the scenario you described is supposed to yield to oncoming traffic and if the light turns red and there you are in the middle of the intersection you are then ok to continue left as soon as it is clear to do so.

when you're sitting at the intersection of a side road to the oncoming interstate ( northbound AL 431 ) and you see this vehicle coming fast and in the right lane , so you wait for them to pass so you can pull out and then all of a sudden they brake hard and turn right at the corner you're on ,no signal ...im like , you knew you were turning...I could have gone but Noooooooooo you f%^&ed me over .Either that or the ones with their signal on since 40 miles ago and they don't turn. You follow them and their signal is on another 120 miles. DO YOU NOT SEE THE BLINKING LIGHT ON YOUR DASHBOARD????

Some vehicles have turn signal switches that don't automatically reset after making your turn. Depends on how far the wheel is turned in the opposite direction for the detent to kick in.
I have lousy high-end hearing and when visually distracted by kids, noise, and traffic I sometimes forget to check blinkers. All our drivers have two-way VHF radios, so if one spots another they'll usually notify them - something you can't do in non-fleet vehicles without radios.

When driving in jurisdictions that allow legal weed you're going to see a lot more distracted driving than normal. Bet on it.

I hate it when Jackholes in their big trucks feel like they are tough **** because they drive a big truck and they try to bully you out of their way. I really hate it when people line up in the intersection because they are too impatient to wait behind the line and then when their ligh turns red they are blocking my lane and I end up having to wait for the next green light! Oh and lastly I hate it when cops don’t pull people over for obvious offenses that I know they would be pulling me over for! One more thing....old people and teenage drivers ahhhhh! Now I am officially irritated for the morning!

I don't get US style 4-way crossing rules, here the person from the right has right of way on equal crossings, so there is never confusion over who goes first.

Left lane slow drivers, driving in the mountains, they can create huge jams. One car. They think its their job.

My buddy was telling me some story proudly about how he was policing the left lane. I almost jumped across the room on him. Anyways I told him that isnt his fuggin job. I told him the way I see it if someone wants around me that bad I help them. I want someone like that around me, more then they want around me. I help them. He told me the other day how much happier he was not being an a hole and just getting out of other peoples way.

Man I miss the old days. Growing up in Loveland someone would punch you out if you drove like idiot. G-d I missed those days. The world would be such a better place. All of our transcending hasnt really helped. So great, we have transcended where no one punches anyone out, and we have all these laws. Great, the pricks are using these laws to be pricks, because punch one on the nose and you are going to be in a lot of trouble. I know it sounds essentially like vigilante justice, but srsly one car going 40 up I 70 on a ski day can create an hour long traffic jam. Trucks passing on steep passes, jerks "policing" the passing lane. And on and on. Ten minute drives here could take an hour now. I am seeing idiots here of world class proportion.

Here in Denver turn on a blinker to change lanes and you have given the checkered flag to begin racing, to the driver in other lane. Its like a turn signal means, speed up and cut me off in Denver. Oh, hello, guess they didnt go to far, seeing as how are highways are stop and go pretty much 24/7. So you get cut off so the other person can gain a car length. And you get the joy of smiling at them for 5 miles. No one is going anywhere fast and it befuddles me how some cant get it. Hurry or not, doesnt matter, its plugged. We have always been a somewhat unfriendly aggressive driving city, but its gotham now. 48 hrs or 20 20 did their road rage special here. When we saw that my wife and I werent surprised.

Last edited:
It seems like semi trucks clog the freeway a lot, especially passing other semi trucks going 1 mph faster and on inclines. They turn on their blinker and whip into the passing lane forcing cars to slam on their brakes and then block traffic for 5-10 miles. I think there is a difference between old school semi drivers and new younger drivers too

I hate it when Jackholes in their big trucks feel like they are tough **** because they drive a big truck and they try to bully you out of their way. I really hate it when people line up in the intersection because they are too impatient to wait behind the line and then when their ligh turns red they are blocking my lane and I end up having to wait for the next green light! Oh and lastly I hate it when cops don’t pull people over for obvious offenses that I know they would be pulling me over for! One more thing....old people and teenage drivers ahhhhh! Now I am officially irritated for the morning!
"Blocking the box" is ticketable in DC, and one of the few things MPD will actually seem to pull people over for (they let cameras handle a lot of traffic enforcement, and kind of a common known that you REALLY have to **** up to get pulled over in DC, they've got more important things to do).

It's a HUGE problem that I deal with on a daily basis at a couple problem intersections. I'm not above simply holding the horn until they move. Lay on the shame.

Of course, if you DON'T pull into the intersection and block it, someone the lane over will cut in front of you and do it for you.

Thank god I don't often commute during rush hour.
It seems like semi trucks clog the freeway a lot, especially passing other semi trucks going 1 mph faster and on inclines. They turn on their blinker and whip into the passing lane forcing cars to slam on their brakes and then block traffic for 5-10 miles. I think there is a difference between old school semi drivers and new younger drivers too
Lots of Maryland interstates did it right and added a 3rd lane specifically for trucks heading up steeper grades (western MD at least)

Then there's 81 and 64 in Virginia, two lanes each direction, and you WILL get stuck behind two trucks.

I hate both of those roads.

"Blocking the box" is ticketable in DC, and one of the few things MPD will actually seem to pull people over for (they let cameras handle a lot of traffic enforcement, and kind of a common known that you REALLY have to fudge up to get pulled over in DC, they've got more important things to do).

It's a HUGE problem that I deal with on a daily basis at a couple problem intersections. I'm not above simply holding the horn until they move. Lay on the shame.

Of course, if you DON'T pull into the intersection and block it, someone the lane over will cut in front of you and do it for you.

Thank god I don't often commute during rush hour.
Lots of Maryland interstates did it right and added a 3rd lane specifically for trucks heading up steeper grades (western MD at least)

Then there's 81 and 64 in Virginia, two lanes each direction, and you WILL get stuck behind two trucks.

I hate both of those roads.
It will get you a ticket here too, that is if there is a cop around that isn’t pulling his pud or talking on the phone. There are big signs that say “DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION” but it’s constant all day everyday there will be at least 5 cars lined up in the intersection on the busier side of town where I live and of course if you wan to go out to eat on your lunch break that’s the crap you have to deal with.

Here in Denver turn on a blinker to change lanes and you have given the checkered flag to begin racing, to the driver in other lane. Its like a turn signal means, speed up and cut me off in Denver.

16 years ago I was driving home at night and saw that I was coming up pretty fast on a slow moving dump truck. The closest car in the left lane was about 3 seconds behind me so I signaled that I was coming over. They sped up so I sped up and went over anyway. Then the a-hole turned on her red and blue lights and proceeded to lecture me on how I should feel privileged that she was only going to ticket me for speeding and not reckless driving.

Ya wanna see loads of jerkoff drivers? Come to South Florida. Many of them are adults who have never driven before.

Recent list of worst commutes in the nation were overwhelmingly DC or NYC metro areas. If you aren't one of the two I don't want to hear it.

Printer drivers can be a pain but I'd have to say bad wireless drivers are the worst.

If the network drivers are bad then you need to download them on another computer and then transfer them with a usb storage device.
And USB isn't allowed because security.

learn to recognize the signs of ADD (A-hole Driver Disease)

if you or one of your friends has any of these signs, please get help

and stop being an a-hole

367.jpg

Normally I would say B, but I've been watching waaay too many car crash/stupid driver/road rage videos. nothing good ever comes from B

Thing is, though, sometimes you have no choice. If you don't go into the intersection and turn when it goes red, you'll never get to go at all (assuming a steady flow coming the other way). It's kind of a trap for a cop to give you a ticket for "turning on red" when doing so is your only chance to get through the intersection. Your other choice is to sit there through multiple cycles. So 5, 10, 20 minutes. Maybe much longer. Not realistic.

I created my own metric for driving: MPA, or Miles Per A-hole.

except, driving around the DC Metro area, I realized I was counting the reciprocal...

I am actually measuring APM, or A-holes Per Mile.

Drive in China for a month if you want to see some really bad drivers. Hell, five minutes will probably do the trick.

Traffic's backed up? Drive on the other side of the road!

Missed your exit on the highway? Stop and back up!

Intersection camera wants to ticket you for turning left from the right lane? Merge over from the right lane ten meters before the intersection! No worries that you're blocking the right lane and preventing five cars from making it through the light, YOU're going to get where you're going a bit faster!

Two lane road congested because of a bottleneck up ahead? Forget the lane lines, let's make it four lanes of cars leading up to the bottleneck!

Have to stop your bus on the right side of the road in two hundred meters? You've got plenty of time to merge over to the left lane and then merge back over to the right!

Traffic jam? Drive on the sidewalk! (One time I watched this happen in plain view of two traffic cops. I pointed it out to one of them - a car driving on the sidewalk directly toward the cop - and he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "What am I supposed to do about it?")

Gotta run into the store? Park in the lane and do your shopping!

The passing lane campers usually go 80 km/h (about 50 mph) in a 110 km/h (about 70 mph) zone.

And all that's just scratching the surface... I know there are places where it's even worse, but there aren't many. That's what happens when you've got tens of millions of new drivers on the road after minimal training from trainers who should never have been given their driver's licenses in the first place.

On the bright side (if you can call it that), speed limits are lower here so you've got more time to react to whatever bonkers move the guy in front of you just pulled, and even if you do run into him, it's probably not going to be much worse than a fender bender. So there's that...

I’ll mention one that nobody else has (perhaps mostly a Florida problem):

Driving in the heavy rain with your hazard lights on.

This is particularly dangerous when your hazards are the same lights as your brake lights and I can’t tell if you’re braking in the rain at night.

I’ll mention one that nobody else has (perhaps mostly a Florida problem):

Driving in the heavy rain with your hazard lights on.

This is particularly dangerous when your hazards are the same lights as your brake lights and I can’t tell if you’re braking in the rain at night.

That one drives me nuts. When I see hazard lights I assume that your car is stopped and in the way of traffic.

Overconfident motorcyclists. I had one tailgating me on the highway recently and he squeezed past me on the off ramp then took a right turn at a red light trying to beat the cars entering the intersection and he ended up laying his bike down and falling right in front of the truck he was trying to cut off.

Overconfident motorcyclists. I had one tailgating me on the highway recently and he squeezed past me on the off ramp then took a right turn at a red light trying to beat the cars entering the intersection and he ended up laying his bike down and falling right in front of the truck he was trying to cut off.
I have a friend who is a truck driver. This summer he had a motorcycle scream down an on-ramp, trying to cut across in front of him, and not make it. Shawn slammed on his brakes so hard that his load (plate glass) broke through the bulkhead and into the sleeper. He didn't find out until afterwards that the cyclist had realized his error at the last minute and ditched the bike, so nobody got killed but it was CLOSE! He sent me pics of the bike and it was barely recognizable.

What do you all think about this situation....

Moderate to heavy traffic on the highway. Right lane is going slightly under the limit. Left lane is going slightly over.

Guy is tail gating and flashing lights at people in the left lane.

Is the ahole A.) the guy who won’t move over because he’d have to slow down, probably below the limit and let many cars by, or B.) the guy expecting to be able to drive as fast as he can?

What do you all think about this situation....

Moderate to heavy traffic on the highway. Right lane is going slightly under the limit. Left lane is going slightly over.

Guy is tail gating and flashing lights at people in the left lane.

Is the ahole A.) the guy who won’t move over because he’d have to slow down, probably below the limit and let many cars by, or B.) the guy expecting to be able to drive as fast as he can?
The answer is C all of the above

I encounter this quite a bit on I-70... i usually cruise at 77 in a 70 but there are a lot of trucks locked in at 65 in the right lane. If there's a long line of cars in the right lane i'll be goddamned if i'm going to squeeze myself into a slow spot in the right lane (since i am still technically passing on the left) to let someone pass me going way above the limit. However, once the right lane clears i move right over.

In other words, is everyone obligated to move over for a (much) faster driver, even when traffic conditions don't really permit it easily?

I see what you’re saying. I would not pull back into the right lane and slow way down to let a speedster go past. I would zip over and zip back if there were space

People that drive with their dog in their lap. How stupid is this? #1 it's a distraction.
#2 it blocks your view. #3 it makes it difficult to make a safe turn since the dog is blocking off the lower part of the steering wheel. #4 It's unsafe for the dog. If you get in an accident the air bag with definitely kill you stupid chihuahua!
Get that dog in a harness and belt it into the back seat where it is safe!

The left lane is not there so you can speed past everybody, just to move into a space not big enough for your car, then slam on your brakes to turn right!!! I see this everyday in a 35 zone. I do 5 over as a general rule. So at 40 mph I have people cutting me off at 50 just to stop and turn. Get in line like the rest of us moron!!! You are not more important than the rest of us. But when our names are printed in the paper because you caused an accident and killed me, your name will definitely be first then.

How about when traffic is being funneled to one lane because of an accident, construction, etc... and the a-holes that zip passed the line of cars and try to budge in as far up as they can

Latest posts

Back