Bad CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Weevel

Reaction score
This is the scenerio my friend and I brewed and split a ten gallon batch of SNPA clone he says that mine has a suttle off taste that his don't? everything is the same we both kegged, carbonated at the same time and rate? My partner says it must be that I bought my CO2 from a welding supply and he bought his from a soda supply? can this be, or is he full of s--t. I haven't been able to distinguish any off flavors? any help would be appriciated.:tank:

Even if they were brewed from one batch, aren't there other differences than just the CO2 delivery? For example, were they fermented in separate fermenters? Were the kegs cleaned EXACTLY the same way? Are the liquid dispense lines equivalent? Are they at the same temperature?

B W, What do you think?

Try to do a blind taste test. Where your buddy doesn't know which glass is from which keg.

Got any extra kegs? Make two batchs of soda water for a blind taste test...

Then tell him about how welders can't have any impurities in them. Not just for taste, but for liabilities. Who wants to reweld a million miles of weld because the CO2 was tainted?

I get my CO2 from welding supplt company - TechAir. Never had any problems.

I would bet you just had a dirty keg or lines or something. Bacteria build up in the lines mighty quick. Try first flushing the lines with hot OxyClean or PBW water, then follow up with a sanitizer. It is sort of a lot of work expecially if you don't have 2 separate spare kegs. But worth it big time!

I would say he was misinformed and passed bad advise on to you.

Most likely it is the difference between your brewing habits/sanitation/conditions.

I agree. Blind tasting test time.

Back