Baby Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PKLehmer

Reaction score
So since I started homebrewing 5 years I've always wanted to do a Barleywine, but I decided that I was going to do it only when I knew my wife was pregnant, and I would let it age for the duration of the pregnancy, and drink it as a celebration beer. Fast forward to yesterday when we received confirmation that my wife is indeed, very pregnant!!!

So now I'm looking for a good recipe and recommendations for this kind of beer. I consider myself a moderate to advanced all grain brewer, and I'm very confident with my setup now (10G mash tun, typically 5G batches into the 15G keg boil kettle) I'm a big fan of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, but I don't want something that's necessarily a clone. Also I'm looking for recommendations on the aging process, any good ideas for letting the beer condition for 8 months at this point? I typically keg but I have the impression that barleywines might be more conducive to bottling and naturally carbonating, am I making that up? Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

My Big Salkahatchie Barleywine is:

85% 2-row
10% Munich
5% C-60

With all Columbus, 20 IBU at 60' 40 IBU at 20' and 20 IBU at 10'

OG= 1.100, mash at about 152*

I ferment in primary for 6-8 weeks and bottle. It is good after a month or two in the bottle, great after 6-8 months and keeps getting better up to a couple of years (when it starts oxidizing. Still good though)

first of all, congrats!
Here's the barleywine I did last spring...turned out fantastic:

5 gallon
22# MO
0.5# british crystal 55°
0.25# pale chocolate
I think I threw in a bit of table sugar, too (0.5# or so)

hopped to ~50 IBU or so with something (probably EKG, but don't recall)
fermented with Wyeast 1084 (harvested from an Irish Red)

bottle conditioned for 4-6 months before I cracked one open...I was not disappointed.

Thanks guys, I'm planning on brewing this weekend, hopefully the cold holds off here in Ohio a little bit....

Any thoughts on naturally conditioning a barleywine in a keg? I've never tried this technique, but I've had bad luck with bottling in the past, and this one is important so I want to make sure it's good come October.

Thats funny that you mention that... I actually made a Raisin Wine when I found out my wife was pregnant a few weeks ago. I am also making a Barleywine this weekend. My recipe is for a 1.5 gallon batch (my experimental equipment size).

Since its just going to make a 12 pack I will natural carb and age a while.

If its good ill do a large batch on my other setup.. but Keg space is running low.

Old English

Style Name: English Barleywine
Boil Time: 120 min
Batch Size: 1.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.051
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.102
Final Gravity: 1.029
ABV (standard): 9.66%
IBU (rager): 61.47
SRM (morey): 18.47

FERMENTABLES:
5 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (85.1%)
8 oz - American - Munich - Dark 20L (8.5%)
3 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (3.2%)
3 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (3.2%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.9, Use: Boil for 75 min, IBU: 61.47

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 151 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3 gal, BIAB Infusion

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.25 tsp - Yeast Nutrient, Time: 0 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name:
Ca2: 116
Mg2: 12
Na: 0
Cl: 170
SO4: 101

Estimated Mash pH at room temp is 5.56

3 Gallons DI water with grain bill and below salts:
1g Gypsum
4g CaCl
1.5g Epsom Salt

NOTES:
Boil for 120 minutes as vigorous as possible but watching the boil off rate.. possibly add water to re hydrate the boil.. intent is to caramelize the sugars.

Pitch 6 gm rehydrated yeast. (give wort a small shot of pure 02 before pitch

This recipe has been published online at:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/211866/old-english

Back