Ba$tard Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
Life has just gotten way too fast here lately. But, I still wanted to do some sort of a darker, malty beer for Christmas. Swung by the big old HBS and took a look around. Picked up a Muntons Bock can kit, a pound of chocolate malt, 2 pounds of Dark DME, and some pecan flavoring.

Did a mini mash with the chocolate malt, a 1/2 pound of oatmeal, a couple ozs of Puerto Rico coffee....stirred in the bock can and DME...topped off to 6 gallons and set it in the ferm chamber...pitched the yeast this morning at 70 degrees.

Started at 8:00 PM finished, cleaned up before the 10;00 news came on....love extract brewing! Figure it'll be a real Ba$tard Bock since it is brewed as an ale, not lagared with chocolate, coffee, and pecan notes with I hope a bit of creamy mouth feel from the oatmeal. My SIL said it sounded like a pretty ballsy recipe...he suggested Big Balls Bock for the label. I just want a decent different beer.

Update...this actually turned out really good....for a few minutes! Racked to a bottling bucket and had this "great Idea", add some of that coconut flavoring. A Loran oil flavoring very powerful stuff in a tiny bottle. I couldn't get it to come out and I was shaking and shaking and then it ALL came out.

Just ruined all the flavors....you could taste and smell coconut....smelled like freaking suntan lotion. I bottled it and stashed it in the closet. About six months goes by and my brother shows up with a six pack taster...one was a really bad IPA.

I told him if like really bad beer try one of these and gave him a sixer of the Coconut Crap. A few weeks later he calls and is raving about how good this stuff is:confused::confused:

I popped a couple in the fridge and a few days later poured one. The coconut is there but with some roasty smooth coffee notes...not terrible, drinkable...not something I would repeat, but really OK now. Tall glass, 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, top off with this beer......FREAKING AWESOME BEER FLOAT!

Never dump it...add a little time...it may come around! Last minute ideas may not be well thought out!

Back