average age of a home brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how old are you

• 20-25

• 25-30

• 30-35

• 35-40

• 40+

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm 30 and I can't select both options that my age group straddles. Am I 25-30, or 30-35? Based on the groupings, it would seem as though 30-35 is middle-aged, so I'm going to select the younger grouping I think. I don't feel like one of those old fogies in the 30-35 group.

I'm 30 and I can't select both options that my age group straddles. Am I 25-30, or 30-35? Based on the groupings, it would seem as though 30-35 is middle-aged, so I'm going to select the younger grouping I think. I don't feel like one of those old fogies in the 30-35 group.

I think that a young person, in their 20s sees a big difference in 25 or 30, but nothing different about 40, 50, 60, 70+, as that's all "old".

I'm the other way- I see very little difference in 20, 23, 25, 28- except the 28 year old might have a better job! :D

Some of us (like Sudsbuster and myself) have been in this hobby 25+ years while craft brewing really just starting getting popular in the last 5-8 years. I'm glad to see so many new people coming into the hobby!

Just turned 33 :( and started a few months ago.

At least I'm not 40+ that's like endlessly old. :D

Turning 30 in a couple weeks. Just started brewing this year.

Just turned 58 last month. Looking back 30 or 40 isn't "really old". I had to laugh when I was 23 & the older teens thought that was really old. Don't worry,your turn is coming,just like it did for us.

I never thought about this but it's true. My driver's license says I am 41 but in reality, I've been miraculously stuck at 39 for 2 years in a row. Anyways, it was in the mid to late 90's when I discovered microbreweries and brewpubs and began brewing in 2003. Coincidentally, most established microbreweries date back to the 80's and 90's, which, as Paul said, puts us in the 40-50 range.

Now cut your hair and get a job!

Dare we say greatest beer generation lol? 45 going on 18, brewing since 95.

I'm 54, started brewing 2-1/2 years ago, and I don't see an end to it. My LHBS always had different beers on tap to give away that he had brewed. I tasted an Oatmeal Stout
and wondered where this nectar of the gods had been hiding all my life. I was in my early 30's then, and couldn't brew where I lived. So I basically forgot about it. I remember a couple that I worked with were making some kind of a cherry holiday beer, and thought they were nuts. This was in 1993 or so.

I received the home brewing kit for my birthday #67 from SWMBO, and my second batch is now in the fermentor. I am grateful for the knowledge shared by all of you whipper-snappers.
Bob

57 here, and a relative rookie with three+ years of experience. The poll's upper bracket of "40+" evidences some pollster bias.

I'm 48 and started brewing a little less than a year ago. All you young whippersnappers out there(20-30)laugh all you want at us "old foggies", but just remember this: Your time is coming!

Turned 57 a couple of weeks ago, feeling every day of it right now.
40+ is way too wide a range. Obviously the OP is a youngster who thinks everybody over 40 is just plain old.:D

I will have the honor of celebrating the Thirty-Ninth Anniversary of my Twenty-Ninth Birthday this coming October. I didn't begin homebrewing until after I retired [retired early and started brewing when I was 63]. And I have no plans to stop brewing.

glenn514:mug:

I'm 25 years old. I've been brewing for 6 years.... er, I mean, 4 years. I HAVE BEEN BREWING FOR FOUR YEARS.

Wait... if I'm 25, do I select the 20-25 category, or the 25-30 category? :p

I'm 51, and started brewing in my late 20s. Started making wine around the same time.

Gave me a bit of a giggle that the highest age grouping was 40+.

27, started brewing when I was 16, took a break from 22-25, didn't get serious until about a year ago.

I'm 25 years old. I've been brewing for 6 years.... er, I mean, 4 years. I HAVE BEEN BREWING FOR FOUR YEARS.

Wait... if I'm 25, do I select the 20-25 category, or the 25-30 category? :p

Unless today is your birthday, you're more than 25 years old. Like 25 years, 4 months, 3 days, 2 hours and 36 minutes. ;)

I'll be 55 in June, retiring from my second job at that time. I started brewing beer in the 80's, my next door neighbor was a friend and a "hippy" type and he was brewing one day. I walked over and asked what he was doing and he shared some homebrew. I was hooked. I brewed for about 3 years and had to go back to sea. So I stopped, about a 17 year non brewing spell, and I started brewing again in 2007.

We started researching home brewing a little less than 3 years after I retired in '07. December '10 to be exact. By January our first batch was going.

27 and have been brewing just under a year. My wife got me a Mr. Beer for Father's Day last year and after one batch of the very mediocre "American Light" kit I bought an 8 gallon pot and started full boil 5 gallon extract batches. Brewed my last extract batch on Sunday and will start BIAB as soon as my Wilserbrewer BIAB bags show up and can talk SWMBO into letting me buy ingredients, funny that I'm the one who works and have to ask permission to spend my money, but that's another topic for another day.

Back