average age of a home brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how old are you

• 20-25

• 25-30

• 30-35

• 35-40

• 40+

Results are only viewable after voting.

knockout350

Reaction score
i was just curious what the average age of a homebrewer, i myself am 24 but most people think the normal homebrewer is in their mid 40s. just curious....

My twin and I are 30, and his BIL is 30 as well. Been at it for 7 years so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am 44 but for me it seems like the craft beer scene really seems to start to grow and gain momentum in the early 90's when must of us were in our 20's and gained interest in it. Before that I really didn't here much about microbreweries and thought of a brewery as beeing bud or miller. Seems like home brew supplies were more available around this time than before it as well. Then the internet made them even more available. Thuse must of us are in the 40-50 range. We were young and eager when the scene started to grow.

28. I'd also like to point out that in addition to the huge 40+ bracket, Ontario has the legal age for drinking at 19, Quebec is 18. It probably wouldn't change much anyways.

I am 44 but for me it seems like the craft beer scene really seems to start to grow and gain momentum in the early 90's when must of us were in our 20's and gained interest in it. Before that I really didn't here much about microbreweries and thought of a brewery as beeing bud or miller. Seems like home brew supplies were more available around this time than before it as well. Then the internet made them even more available. Thuse must of us are in the 40-50 range. We were young and eager when the scene started to grow.

I never thought about this but it's true. My driver's license says I am 41 but in reality, I've been miraculously stuck at 39 for 2 years in a row. Anyways, it was in the mid to late 90's when I discovered microbreweries and brewpubs and began brewing in 2003. Coincidentally, most established microbreweries date back to the 80's and 90's, which, as Paul said, puts us in the 40-50 range.

Now cut your hair and get a job!

52. Started in '92. Stopped for a while then started up again Aug 13.

Why such a large 40+ category?

'Cause from the OP's perspective there's old (30-35), very old (35-40), and the rest is ancient. Or he's just polite.

57 next month. Sad to say only started home brewing less than 5 years ago, and only very seriously for a bit over a year. :mug:

'Cause from the OP's perspective there's old (30-35), very old (35-40), and the rest is ancient. Or he's just polite.

57 next month. Sad to say only started home brewing less than 5 years ago, and only very seriously for a bit over a year. :mug:

Wow! Never thought of being put into the VERY OLD category!

At 40 I was still too young and wild to slow down enough to start home brewing. Now I'm 49, and finally growing up, just started home brewing two months ago.:rockin:

I started making wine in the 1980s. I didn't make my first beer until 2000.

I've been making wine for 25+ years, and so, sure, I'm over 40. I've been on this forum for 8 years!

Latest posts

Back