attenuation situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeers

Reaction score
So I am about to bottle my brew tonight. The yeasties were very serious about their work and took it up to 10% alcohol. I was shooting for something close to this, so I'm not all that worried...but at the same time, the smell/taste of the samples I've taken are pretty potent stuff.

Anybody with high-gravity experience have a guess as to whether this will mellow in the bottle? Or should I just pay more attention to attenuation before my next batch?

Thx.

Without knowing the recipe, I think it's pretty safe to say it's going to mellow. Just age it carefully and try it in about six months. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

i was going to say, some recipes are supposed to have a potent alcoholic character. i get disappointed when i expect it and it is not there.

Well the style was Belgian IPA. This is my first time going for such high gravity, so I wasn't sure if the alcohol prominence was a typical green characteristic. It's quite drinkable flat and warm, so I think I'm still in the game.

Thx for the input.

Well the style was Belgian IPA. This is my first time going for such high gravity, so I wasn't sure if the alcohol prominence was a typical green characteristic. It's quite drinkable flat and warm, so I think I'm still in the game.

Thx for the input.

Wait until it tastes really nasty, like rubbing alcohol mixed with flat coke, at about 2 weeks in bottle. Then you will know what hot alcohol really tastes like on a 10% beer. I find that anywhere from 6 weeks to 1 year is the time to drinkability on such a big beer.

I still don't know what your subject and use of the word attenuation means in your OP. You never mention gravities or attenuation rates at all so we could have no idea whether yours was high low or middle or correct for the yeast you used.

The title was more about the rhyme. Come on, man. Don't you got no soul? (<--Actually probably my fault, because you weren't the only one confused.)

I got a little more attenuation than I expected, which is ok with me---I'm not seeking advice on that. I'll do the math myself. I just want input about the flavor from people who have tasted out a high-gravity brew over time. (Thanks for your input on that front. Looks like I have a long wait ahead of me.)

Back