Attempting a novice Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cro Magnon

Reaction score
Going to attempt (something close to a) kolsch with what ingredients I have and my very basic equipment. I'm planning to use just 100% pilsner malt....I don't have any munich or Vienna malt. Just a 60 min and 10 min saaz addition. I have three yeasts - fermoale AY3, S-04, and Belgium Abbaye yeast.

Going to ferment at approx 20 C for two weeks, bottle, prime, and then leave in the fridge for a month as 'lagering'....not ideal I know but let me know if it will work.
So I have the following questions:

1) Which of these three yeasts should I use?
2) Does this method of lagering in the bottles work for this beer?
3) Is 100% ok to use for this and if not what can I add? I have some crystal 55 and some Cara ruby (same as Cara red)...not going to mention any specialty roasted malts cos I guess they have no place here.
4) ANY other tips on how to tweak this would be greatly appreciated!

1) Tough call as you have three strains that aren't kölsch-like. I would avoid the Belgian for sure. I haven't used AY3, but can it ferment relatively clean? If so, maybe that will work in a pinch. Of course, a kölsch strain like 2565 will get you where you need to be, but work with what you got.

2) In my experience, bottle lagering works very well.

3) 100% pils is fine. If you want a little character, use a specialty grain but in very low amounts so that it's barely perceivable. Do you have victory malt? 2 to 3% of that would be fine. 1.5% cara red... why not?

4) Just keep it simple. If you can get a kölsch strain, that will make a big difference. I'd not, you'll still get good beer.

I just brewed this Northern Brewer Kolsch all grain kit. I used the Imperiel Yeast G03 German Ale yeast. I fermented for 2 weeks and then cold crashed it in my keg for 1 week before tapping it. It turned out as close to perfect for me as I could have hoped. I was surprised how clear it was even just out of the fermenter. If I made another Kolsch, this would be a complete no-brainer for me to use again.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/kolsch-all-grain-kit
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/imperial-yeast-g03-dieter

1) Out of those three, S-04 would probably be the only one you would want to use but even that won't get you a kolsch like beer.
2) Lager bottling works fine
3) 100% pilsner should be ok. Not a typical German kolsch grain bill but it should still be good
4) IMO, drop the late hop addition. That is an American thing. If you want an actual kolsch, you will want 18 to 20 IBUs early boil addition with a noble hop

1) Tough call as you have three strains that aren't kölsch-like. I would avoid the Belgian for sure. I haven't used AY3, but can it ferment relatively clean? If so, maybe that will work in a pinch. Of course, a kölsch strain like 2565 will get you where you need to be, but work with what you got.

2) In my experience, bottle lagering works very well.

3) 100% pils is fine. If you want a little character, use a specialty grain but in very low amounts so that it's barely perceivable. Do you have victory malt? 2 to 3% of that would be fine. 1.5% cara red... why not?

4) Just keep it simple. If you can get a kölsch strain, that will make a big difference. I'd not, you'll still get good beer.
Thanks a lot for all the answers! I know... none of these yeasts are ideal :( But I'll have to work with what I've got. Guess I'll go with the S-04 as h22 has suggested. I don't have victory malt either :( Most of all, great to know from everyone here that the bottle lagering works well. Seems to solve a huge part of the problem cos I think I can attempt a simple, true lager this way.

BTW what do you mean when you say it ferments 'clean'?

I just brewed this Northern Brewer Kolsch all grain kit. I used the Imperiel Yeast G03 German Ale yeast. I fermented for 2 weeks and then cold crashed it in my keg for 1 week before tapping it. It turned out as close to perfect for me as I could have hoped. I was surprised how clear it was even just out of the fermenter. If I made another Kolsch, this would be a complete no-brainer for me to use again.

Looks good! Not available where I am unfortunately. Did the kit come with any fining agents or did it just clear up naturally?

1) Out of those three, S-04 would probably be the only one you would want to use but even that won't get you a kolsch like beer.
2) Lager bottling works fine
3) 100% pilsner should be ok. Not a typical German kolsch grain bill but it should still be good
4) IMO, drop the late hop addition. That is an American thing. If you want an actual kolsch, you will want 18 to 20 IBUs early boil addition with a noble hop
Thanks for the answers! Oh good to know about the late hop addition. Will drop it now to keep it authentic,and calculate 18-20 IBUs for the 60 min addition alone.
How do you think s-04 would ferment this beer if it is not ideal? I used the fermoale for a wheat beer and it came out great, but quite fruity though....Is that a quality that might work well here or not at all?

Thanks for the answers! Oh good to know about the late hop addition. Will drop it now to keep it authentic,and calculate 18-20 IBUs for the 60 min addition alone.
How do you think s-04 would ferment this beer if it is not ideal? I used the fermoale for a wheat beer and it came out great, but quite fruity though....Is that a quality that might work well here or not at all?

You don't want anything fruity (like esters) in a kolsch. My ideal kolsch is very clean with a slight white grape hint. Definitely not the fermoale. S-04 can produce a clean beer but it won't give you that white grape/wine flavor a kolsch should have.

I used that same yeast on a Schwartzbier I made last spring. Fermented on the cool side - around 60 - 62f, but otherwise didn't do anything different from my usual process (3 weeks in ferm, then kegged, let condition a few weeks) It came out great.

S-04 will have some fruity esters you don't really want for a Kolsch, but you can reduce that by fermenting at the lower end (around 60f).

You don't want anything fruity (like esters) in a kolsch. My ideal kolsch is very clean with a slight white grape hint. Definitely not the fermoale. S-04 can produce a clean beer but it won't give you that white grape/wine flavor a kolsch should have.
Ayyah...my options are thin then.....I do have access to fermentis saflager W43/70 lager yeast....If I use that though...then I'm just doing a full on lager and not a Kolsch I'm guessing..

Ayyah...my options are thin then.....I do have access to fermentis saflager W43/70 lager yeast....If I use that though...then I'm just doing a full on lager and not a Kolsch I'm guessing..

Actually, 34/70 is a much better option for a Kolsch. It has the clean profile you're looking for, and it can even ferment pretty cleanly at low ale temps. If you can hold it around 60F (same as is usually suggested for Kolsch strains), you should be good to go.

Actually, 34/70 is a much better option for a Kolsch. It has the clean profile you're looking for, and it can even ferment pretty cleanly at low ale temps. If you can hold it around 60F (same as is usually suggested for Kolsch strains), you should be good to go.
Great! Although...if I use this yeast... is it still even a Kolsch? (Not that it matters - beer semantics I know but what else are we good for here :p )

I'd say it's at least Kölsch adjacent... I've had commercial examples that didn't taste at all like what I expect, but the same is true for many styles.

Honestly, I think lack of Vienna is doing more to push this away from Kölsch than the yeast. I personally have a huge preference for the Früh strain (WLP029 or Imperial G03) but 34/70 is at least somewhat in the general neighborhood.

Great! Thanks for the info! Yeah I must definitely get my hands on some Vienna and some Munich. hokay I guess I'll give the 34/70 a shot.

Great! Although...if I use this yeast... is it still even a Kolsch? (Not that it matters - beer semantics I know but what else are we good for here :p )
It was never close to a Kolsch from the beginning. It was a blonde ale and with 34/70 it will be a pale lager.

why not just order some kolsch yeast? Not common but not hard to find either.

why not just order some kolsch yeast? Not common but not hard to find either.
Unfortunately no kolsch yeast available in India. Only two suppliers here and they have a very limited range of options. Pretty much a few Fermentis strains, Mangrove Jack wheat yeast and some strains of Fermoale which nobody seems to recognize (I'm guessing some local versions of recognised strains OR something from Southeast Asia rebranded etc).

Back