Assessing yeast viability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_reaper1066

Reaction score
I washed my first yeast slurry last week and am ready to put on my next batch. I envision a long term experiment using this strain (Wyeast 1056 American Ale) by brewing the same batch several times using the re-washed yeast to see how flavor and overall fermentation is affected.
To try and keep all things even, I need to ensure similar pitching density between batches, so I need to know how many living yeast cells I have to ensure I use the proper starter size.
I work in a bacteriology lab, with access to high quality microscopes and staining reagents, as well as all the necessary reagents for making proper yeast agar for colony counting.
So im trying to find a somewhat easy way to assess yeast viability using a simple staining protocol and a light microscope. I have come across methylene blue as a live/dead stain, but it sounds like an inconsistent measure of yeast health. Can anyone recommend a decent enumeration method? Or point me in the direction of a pre-existing thread tackling this topic.

Stain with propidium iodide and counterstain with fluorescein diacetate. A brief literature search will give you the details.

Back