Aroma Hops - Added; But what now??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favourite kind of beer to make?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Love this site. :)

I have just got back into home brewing after about 3 years off (Only made about 6 brews all up) so am in need of a bit of a refresher at this point in the proceedings.
I have made my beer in a single fermentation bin and it stopped bubbling 6 days ago, I have added my gelatin and let it rest for a further three days. the beer it'self is sitting on a heat pad at a constant 20*c. This morning I added my aroma hops to the beer through the little hole at the top of the fermentation bin.

So, my questions are -
Do I now cool the beer with the hops in it?
Do I leave it on the heat pad for a few days then cool it?
Do I just take it off the heat mat and let it sit at room temp (Anything from 5*c to 16*c as am in the middle of a New Zealand Winter)
How long do I leave the hops in there to do their thing?

Anything else you can think of that I need or should be doing?

Thanks for the help/advice!

:ban:

Welcome back. https://byo.com/article/dry-hopping-techniques/ by Brew Your Own is a good source for basic hopping procedure. My way is just to dry hop with pellets for a week. Came out fine.
I'm assuming you're at about two weeks in the fermenter and it's an ale?
You can leave it at 68 (20C) or whatever your yeast range is.
I hope this helps.

Hi everyone!

Love this site. :)

I have just got back into home brewing after about 3 years off (Only made about 6 brews all up) so am in need of a bit of a refresher at this point in the proceedings.
I have made my beer in a single fermentation bin and it stopped bubbling 6 days ago, I have added my gelatin and let it rest for a further three days. the beer it'self is sitting on a heat pad at a constant 20*c. This morning I added my aroma hops to the beer through the little hole at the top of the fermentation bin.

So, my questions are -
Do I now cool the beer with the hops in it?
Do I leave it on the heat pad for a few days then cool it?
Do I just take it off the heat mat and let it sit at room temp (Anything from 5*c to 16*c as am in the middle of a New Zealand Winter)
How long do I leave the hops in there to do their thing?

Anything else you can think of that I need or should be doing?

Thanks for the help/advice!

:ban:

Yes. You could do any of the methods for dry hopping. You want to leave the hops in for at least 3 days. Some people report vegetal flavor from leaving hops too long. I know of at least one commercial brewery that leaves hops in until the keg is empty. I don't know why some people get a vegetal flavor. It may be their variety of hops.

I know this is unrelated to your question, but your gelatin addition isn't going to do much for you. For gelatin to work, you need to start a cold crash, get it around or below 50*F, add the gelatin and continue to crash into the 30's (*F). The fact that you did it without the cold crash won't hurt the beer, it just won't do what it was intended to do, FYI.

In regards to the dry hop, my typical dry hop length is 5 days in the fermenter. In regards to leaving it on the heat pad or not, up to you. This is an interesting read if you haven't read it already. Experiments with the differences in temperature during dry hopping. Either way, you'll be fine.

If you keg, you could even dry hop in the keg. Just put them in a sanitized muslin bag first and then leave them in the keg until it kicks. If you don't keg, then disregard.

Back