Are there any guidelines/literature on how much dry hop with for modifying recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
I have done quite a bit of kits and want to start messing with changing around the dry hops to add my own taste and start developing my own recipes. On my internet searches I find what dry hopping is, when to dry hop(high krausen, post fermentation, in the keg, etc.) but I'm having trouble finding literature with general guidelines on how to determine much to dry hop/whirlpool with(for NEIPA's specifically). I was thinking of scaling down the grain bill for fruit bazooka from Northern Brewer(A recipe I really like, posted below) for a 1.5 gallon batch(my smallest keg size) and start messing with the types of hops. It would be nice to try with one hop at a time(to make a single hop NEIPA) then try various combinations. Any suggestions/advice/ links to books or articles on some general guidelines on how to start modifying the hops in this recipe and determining how much to add? Thanks!!

10.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.5 lbs White Wheat Malt
1.5 lbs Flaked Oats

Hops
20 min hop stand 1oz Azacca, 1 oz Citra, 1oz Eukanot, 1 oz Mosaic
Dry hop 1 (High Krausen) 1oz Eukanot, 1 oz Citra
Dry hop 2 (5 days before keg) 1 oz Eukanot, 1 oz Citra

I would start by inputting the original recipe into a brewing software like Brewers friend or similar, then scaling the recipe to your intended batch size. That will tell you exactly how much hops to add at each time interval in the recipe including the dry hop.

From there you can change the amounts for different hops based on their particular alpha acid level to achieve your desired IBU amount. For example if the new hop you want to use in the recipe has less AA, you will need more of that hop to get the same IBU amount in the finished beer. And if the new hop has more AA you'll need less.

Cheers!

I'd start with say 5 grams per liter, then adjust up or down after the first batch. I think there was a study that anything over 8g/L led to diminishing returns.

Back