Are organic grains worth the extra price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waynep005

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew my favorite Porter in a few weeks and will give some of it as gifts for the Holidays. I was wondering if anyone has used organic grains and if so are they worth the cost? This is a brew I am willing to spend a little extra on since it is my Holiday brew.

7 Bridges has a holiday ale kit.
Freshness is more key,proabably is same taste as far as the conventionally grown equivalent grain. There is a lot less variety of grain with organic also to work with. So commercially I think it has been a challengemaybe for breweries because I personally dont think there are very many great ones made. That said Ive made some pretty good almost all organic ales.
They also have many organic hops wich some are uncommon and limited. Give it a shot see what you think.

Well take this with a grain of salt, but a study came out recently which showed no difference in health between people who did and didn't consume organic food. I can find a link for you if you'd like.

I've also read there is evidence that a lot of what passes for 'certified organic', to be frank, shouldn't. And even those farmers and whatnot that DO use the proper organic practices are still using some kind of pesticide, and a lot of the time it is just as bad for the environment and consumer, and sometimes worse. To be fair, there are organic farmers who are more conscientious and take care to avoid these issues. Just food for thought.

Back