Are Hoppy Wheat Beers Popular?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I make a hoppy wheat beer similar to 3 Floyds Gumball Head. I like the "nuttiness" the combo of wheat and Amarillo bring together. Only 35 IBU's but my recipe uses 5 oz Amarillo mostly with late hop additions, whirlpool and dry hopping.

Anyway, I was unaware of the general popularity of this style as I rarely hear it being discussed. I happened to see it on the tap board at Buffalo Wild Wings and eagerly ordered a pint. Server comes back saying the bartender says this one is moving so fast they cant get kegs in fast enough to keep up with the demand. Really?

Is this beer catching on? I kind of figured it was a sleeper?

Heck I never heard of hoppy wheat beer. How popular can it be if nobody heard of it?

There are a few examples like this available commercially in my area, but I've never got the impression that hoppy wheat beers are more popular than beers that are either just hoppy or just wheat.

Maybe I've just not tried enough different examples, but I think that mixing strong hop flavor and aroma with strong yeast-related flavors is too much "noise" in the flavor profile; they kind of clash. It's not that I necessarily dislike the result, but for me, I'd prefer one aspect or the other to shine against an appropriate malt background.

The popularity of any beer style is secondary in importance compared to the question, "Will I like this beer?"
Several years ago I had a strong hoppy wheat beer at the Vancouver Beerfest. The brewer told me that he ended up with a stronger than planned wort so he upped the hops (falconer's flight) quite a bit. It was very good.

They seem to be pretty popular to me, besides Gumball head and the Modern times one linked above Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin and Bell's Oberon are ones that are more well known. I just lump them in the general category of APA's and AIPA's as that's how they drink to me, with the actual wheat character often being masked or at least playing second fiddle to the hops. Here's a longer list, beeradvocate seems to categorize them as American Pale wheats.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/93/

I dislike wheat beers in general (find them sort of weirdly tart) but I had one that I didn't hate. I think it was Sierra Nevada, maybe a beer camp or special thing. Overall, I wouldn't pick one up or drink one. Others love them!

Back