apricot apa help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplunkett

Reaction score
So my buddy that got me into brewing just harvested 70lbs of aporcots hes making a sasion. He gave me 6.5 lbs i was thinking of making a apa with it or maby even an ipa here what i was thinking

6# 2row
5# white wheat
Fwh .25 oz rawau
.5 oz citra 60min
1 oz rawau 10min
.5 oz citra whirlpool
1 oz rawau whirlpool
1.75 oz rawau dry hop in seconday day 15 (pending fermentation being done due to fruit)
Probly use wlp 002 or 007
At 70% eff 1.057 og
Fg 1.01
45 ibu
I was thinking of adding a pound and a half of the aporcot to the mash. The other 5# in seconday.

Im open for suggestions and thoughts. Rakau is a new Zealand hop strong apircot flavor.
I was thinking theres not enough late hops i like hoppy apas like kneedeepbrewings citra xtra pale ale. I feel the bitering is probly fonr tho maby a little more. Any thoughts would be great.

I read an article in a beer mag that said if you want peach flavor in beer add apricot. with your recipe I would try the conan yeast. That is a little too much wheat for me in a pale ale,also i would add one of these at 4 oz (would increase in future batches if needed) biscuit, aromatic, or victory. These all have a distinctive flavor so experimentation is welcome.

I was thinking of cutting back some wheat ive had aporcot in a wheat beer before and thought it whent well. Conan is a good idea i was gonna use some in a dipa im make soon maby ill just make a big starter and do a double brewday.

I've personally used lots of amarillo at the end/dry, with a simco bitter, that gave a good stonefruit type aroma and flavor. I found that I prefer to additionally add some citra, ctz, etc with the amarillo in the dry hop, to give more of the character I expect in an IPA, but the all-amarillo was interesting.

I would take out some of the wheat and use a little more 2 row, and like mentioned above a little bit of victory would be nice. I don't know if I would bother adding any apricots to the mash.. After fermentation it will probably do nothing for the aroma, so I would leave it out and just add to the secondary.

8# 2row
3# wheat
6oz munich
Same hops but add 1oz of citra dry
How dose that look?
Ive read about adding some f4uit to mash idk what it would do but since i have so much i figured why not try it. Baby i will maby not. How dose the hops look to u guys is it enough?

Last edited:
Back