Apple pie idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewiley36

Reaction score
So I'm debating on a quick easy recipe and I was curious as to everyone else's thoughts on it... I'm kind of going for a generic apple pie or better if possible... Any ideas or recommendations are appreciated!

12 cans apple juice concentrate,
4.5 ? gallons spring water
2lb + 2 cup brown sugar
1 lb Bavarian wheat dme
2? Cinnamon sticks
? Nutmeg
? All spice

Boil 9 cans apple juice/ water, spices and 2 lbs brown sugar and dme
Add 3 cans ape juice 2 cups brown sugar after fermentation and keg

Not sure if you want to boil the juice concentrate along with the water/DME, maybe pasteurizing is a better way (if it is not already or you want extra assurance) - this is one pasteurizing recommendation I found online

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-pasteurize-juice-at-home/

Another thing you may want to be careful is if the juice concentrate has any preservatives like metabisulfites, sodium benzoate and/or potassium sorbate etc, since preservatives even at the tiniest amounts will make it very hard for the yeast to work. Should be pure frozen or already pasteurized, no preservatives.

Also I'm not sure about the amounts of sugar, the juice has plenty of it and doesn't seem that 1lb DME is a sufficient base to hold the amount of alcohol that will result from this recipe. If I were to give it a shot I will be doing the following:

1) increase the DME and maybe change to an extra plain light version, 2.5 lbs/4.5gal?
2) add some lactose at the end of boil (to mimic the tired hands milkshake IPAs) maybe start with 2oz/gallon at flameout?.
3) decrease the # of juice cans by half (12 to 6)?.
4) reduce the amount of brown sugar to 1/2 lb and pasteurize along with juice otherwise it should be ok straight from the bag.
5) add all the pasteurized/cooled juice concentrate and sugar after the fermentation has started?. Ensuring also that ferm runs always below 64F, as high temps will produce fusel alcohols as this recipe has lots of simple sugars and its a prime candidate to such defect.
6) add all spices, cinnamon etc right before fermentation ends (to allow yeast consume any O2 pickup).
7) let in spices aging in carboy at low temp ~64F for >1 month. Good practice that gives the yeast to fix any issues and also letting those spices to add some character.
8) as for the yeast I will personally look into using either a farmhouse/belgian yeast WLP550? or a Bavarian yeast as they will complement very well with the spices.
9) you didn't mentioned any hops as part of the recipe, not sure but I would add at least 3oz of any fruity-low alpha acid hop pellets at flameout to counter balance any excessive swetness in this

Good luck man!

Boil 1/2gal apple juice with 2cups sugar, 1tbsp apple pie spice, 1 tsp vanilla, and a cinnamon stick then add the mixture to the beer at kegging. I make an apple pie cider this way that people always go crazy for. It's basically a simple apple pie moonshine recipe with the liquor swapped out for beer.

Back