Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewinit2

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new on here, just wondering if anyone has a recipe for apple cider using the pulp left in and no yeast used?

maybe I should re ask, has anyone made cider from pulped apples, left to ferment in water until they start to bubble, nothing else added.

Hard cider is made from apple juice, and it takes roughly 10 gallons of apples to make 3 gallons of cider. Straight juice will yield roughly 5-6% ABV if left to ferment completely. So as you can see, pulped apples in water would be very watered down and weak.

A better question is what is your goal with cider? Are you looking to make hard cider, or just some sort of apple flavored drink?

I've only made cider from store bought juice (straight juice plus yeast, as well as straight juice, yeast, and sugar for extra ABV) so my experience is relatively limited. As far as I know though, you should not be using water (unless reconsituting frozen apple juice concentrate), and if you want to use fresh apples, you'll need to press them somehow.

Here's a quick link I found with a message from a well known member about a "redneck press": Making cider without a press

And a sticky with some tips for beginner cidermakers: Cider for Beginners

Latest posts

Back