APO (Army Post Office ) Shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illomenbrewery

Reaction score
I am looking for some good online home-brew supply stores that ship to APO addresses. I am still pretty new at home brewing but have ordered most of my supplies thru amazon. Anyone know of some reputable supply stores online that ship to APO? I was trying to order thru Northern Brewer but they do not ship to APO addresses. I am currently overseas in Belgium, and the supply stores that are local to me are not specifically brewing supply stores (garden centers with a small brewing section), so that is why I order most of my supplies online.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Midwest ships to APO. Great selection and prices.

My only complaint would be viability of liquid yeast after shipment and the epic delays of the APO system, but that problem isn't unique to Midwest.

Did you search online for Belgium brew stores that ship? I used UK brew supply websites when I was stationed there and didn't want to wait on a shipment through APO.

Honestly.... I'd take my time in Belgium to explore local beer. I was stationed in Germany for three years and homebrewing never crossed my mind. I spent every weekend I could in Brussels/Antwerp/Brugge/Gent drinking beer and still wish I could've stayed longer and grabbed more to bring back. If you're a sour fan there is no better place to be in the world, and if you're not, research what's in high demand and bring back everything you can to trade. Just my .02.

If you decide to brew anyway and there is anything in particular you're in the market for that you can't have shipped over, I'dbe more than hapy to ship you some stuff, maybe we could work out a trade.. Belgian beer for brew gear :D

Good luck, are you at SHAPE?

schokie thanks ill have to check out midwest.

Honestly.... I'd take my time in Belgium to explore local beer. I was stationed in Germany for three years and homebrewing never crossed my mind. I spent every weekend I could in Brussels/Antwerp/Brugge/Gent drinking beer and still wish I could've stayed longer and grabbed more to bring back. If you're a sour fan there is no better place to be in the world, and if you're not, research what's in high demand and bring back everything you can to trade. Just my .02.

If you decide to brew anyway and there is anything in particular you're in the market for that you can't have shipped over, I'dbe more than hapy to ship you some stuff, maybe we could work out a trade.. Belgian beer for brew gear :D

Good luck, are you at SHAPE?

Yea I have been at SHAPE over 4 years now, I was active duty here then got out now I work here as a civilian (my wife is Belgian). I have definitely tried and drank my fair share of belgian beer. I have just recently gotten into home brewing. I definitely love sour and Belgian ales and triples.

Do you know how to send home-brews or other beer back to the states? I was trying to send Westvleteren 12 back home to the states for a gift and couldn't send it thru APO.

Do you know how to send home-brews or other beer back to the states? I was trying to send Westvleteren 12 back home to the states for a gift and couldn't send it thru APO.

I always sent stuff through APO, did it dozens of times, had beer shipped to me as well. "Glassware" when filling out customs forms worked for me. I know that route isn't for everyone but I didn't care.. More than happy to help you out if you need anything over there that you can't get shipped, I always hated places that refused to ship APO, not like its anymore work!

When I was overseas I used a forwarder (shipitapo). It sucks that you have to pay for shipping twice, but at least it was something for a rare occasion I couldn't get it any other way.

Have you checked out Brouwland? I did not see anything on their site about not shipping to APO or FPO.

I went to their site and found a local supply store in my area, but that store was like a garden center with a small section for brewing supplies. Maybe I have to go to some of the bigger cities like Brussels they might have a bigger variety. The store I went to nearby didn't even have carboys that were not in a starter kit, had 1 type of brewing pot, did not have grains or extract unless it was in a kit, etc... I am sure they would be able to order the equipment or supplies I would need but in that case I might as well order online.

Jasper's ships to APO (boomchugalug.com). I feel their rates are much better than Midwest if you will order one or 2 kits at a time (midwest is quite expensive for the first kit ~ $30 shipping) Jasper's is a flat $7.99 a kit you order. I have ordered 2 kits from them. the first kit was to italy within a week. The second one took about 2 weeks. I am guessing that something with the military post office had to do with that though.

shipitapo has flat handling rates...they don't increase the handling because of weight. Either way it sucks to have to pay for shipping twice. That is why I just found a place that would ship to an APO directly.

Jasper's sends it direct. If you use a service like shipitapo, the item gets sent to them, they handle it, and send it to you. (and pay for shipping again). the reason Midwest costs more is they use UPS, but then it turns to USPS when it gets to the APO. It's called sure post through UPS.

homebrew4less.com ships to APO and his shipping is reasonable to Europe because he is in Pa. I ordered an entire Top Tier to my APO box from him. I used to order bulk grain from him but I stopped after one of the boxes didn't hold up during shipment. I don't think it was any fault of the vendor. The PO workers don't always handle our stuff with care. It was pretty comical when I picked up that box. The girl at the counter says "Are you the guy with all the seeds?" I said, "yupp, that's me. I ordered a giant box of seeds."

Apexbrewwares.com is a pretty great site for APO shipping. Jeremy usually honors flat rate which most places won't do for some reason. Another thing I like about him is you can build a grain bill even if you only need a couple ounces of something and he will put it together for you.

labelpeelers.com has reasonable shipping but not as cheap as the other two. But, they have a bigger selection so I will go with them if I can't find what I need at apex or hb4less.

For bulk grain, you should check out Brouwland.com. Have it shipped to your doorstep though, not your APO. I have been using Pearl malt from them for my base malt with good results. I also like to order my yeast from them. I have ordered yeast from the states with good results but I did have a bad batch or two that I attribute to yeast health (even with a starter). So, my advice is pay the extra from Brouwland and don't risk it. They are only about 1.5 hrs from you if you want to make a trip to their store.

Also, check out the stainless offerings from Italy while you're here. You can get a stainless bucket or conical for pretty cheap:
http://www.pinta.it/catalog/49/fermentatori_inox.html

By the way, not to hijack but did you actually get a call through to Westvleteren to pick up a case? Is so, how did you do it? I have gotten it from the bars but I tried calling that line over 100 times one day and finally gave up.

homebrew4less.com ships to APO and his shipping is reasonable to Europe because he is in Pa. I ordered an entire Top Tier to my APO box from him. I used to order bulk grain from him but I stopped after one of the boxes didn't hold up during shipment. I don't think it was any fault of the vendor. The PO workers don't always handle our stuff with care. It was pretty comical when I picked up that box. The girl at the counter says "Are you the guy with all the seeds?" I said, "yupp, that's me. I ordered a giant box of seeds."

Apexbrewwares.com is a pretty great site for APO shipping. Jeremy usually honors flat rate which most places won't do for some reason. Another thing I like about him is you can build a grain bill even if you only need a couple ounces of something and he will put it together for you.

labelpeelers.com has reasonable shipping but not as cheap as the other two. But, they have a bigger selection so I will go with them if I can't find what I need at apex or hb4less.

For bulk grain, you should check out Brouwland.com. Have it shipped to your doorstep though, not your APO. I have been using Pearl malt from them for my base malt with good results. I also like to order my yeast from them. I have ordered yeast from the states with good results but I did have a bad batch or two that I attribute to yeast health (even with a starter). So, my advice is pay the extra from Brouwland and don't risk it. They are only about 1.5 hrs from you if you want to make a trip to their store.

Also, check out the stainless offerings from Italy while you're here. You can get a stainless bucket or conical for pretty cheap:
http://www.pinta.it/catalog/49/fermentatori_inox.html

By the way, not to hijack but did you actually get a call through to Westvleteren to pick up a case? Is so, how did you do it? I have gotten it from the bars but I tried calling that line over 100 times one day and finally gave up.

Wow thank you for the good info! I think I am going to go with brouwland for grain and definitely for yeast. As for the Westy, it is kinda just luck, the line is busy a lot. If you go to the brewery they have a cafe right across the street that will sell the beer as well. But, I have gotten the beer from the abbey once, and a few places around Belgium will sell the beer at about 10 Euros for a Westy 12. But the abbey sells the west 12 for 40 euros for a crate of 24 so definitely worth it if you can reserve!

Also, "Olive oil gift set" works on customs forms and explains any liquid sounds. My sister shipped some stuff from Belgium and that worked every time. Brother in law was stationed at SHAPE for 3 years (til about 2 years ago), and I wish I would have made it over there more than once. They also managed to send 5 cases of 12 back to the states, but that was a different situation. Guess it helps to know pilots? I'd also be willing to ship stuff over to you, if you insist on brewing your own beer in Belgium.

Westy is always busy. It took several times before I got through. The cafe there is always a sure bet though.

Love2brew.com is fast and cheap APO
Rebel brewing is quick and cheap
Midwest and MoreBeer cost a ton shipping APO.
Browland will ship to your place if you live down town

Back