APL/IPL Yeast Strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MosquitoDance

Reaction score
I'm looking for some guidance on yeast strains. My next beer is to be something like an American IPL or perhaps an APL. Pilsner, Lemondrop Hops. Aiming for an OG in the mid 1.050s.

My LHBS is very limited on yeast strains, so my options are Saflager S23 and Saflager w34/70. I also have some Cry Havoc that I'm culturing up, but I've never used it.

My temp control allows me to ferment in the 50s, so something that performs well in the mid 50s would be best.

I can order liquid yeast if necessary.

Use W34/70 aka Weihenstephan lager yeast.

I have used that yeast several times (currently on it's 3rd generation), and it ferments fast, makes no dyacetil (although a D-rest is still recommended), and it flocculates well - 2 packets and you're done! No need for a starter.

From some Brulosophy experiments, it stays clean even fermented in the high 60s.

Personally, I pitch it at 57, let it raise to 59, then drop to 52-54 once fermentation kicks in (ideal fermentation range is 52-59).

W-34/70 is MUCH cleaner than S-05 in the same beer (cream ale), and even cleaner than White Labs WLP029 fermented at it's coldest recommended range.

I love this yeast. :)

Awesome so thats a vote for w34/70. FVillatoro what was your experience with it in terms of how it affects hop profile?

Anyone out there have much experience with S-23 or WLP Cry Havoc?

34/70 is very good for lagers and would work well for your brew. I did just finish an APA with Cry Havoc that fermented well and the sample I had at bottling was very clean and let the hops come through nicely.

Either would work but I haven't personally used 34/70 yet but have some and may use it this summer.

Awesome so thats a vote for w34/70. FVillatoro what was your experience with it in terms of how it affects hop profile?

Anyone out there have much experience with S-23 or WLP Cry Havoc?

I have not brewed hop-forward beers using w34/70, but I would imagine the high attenuation and (basically) no esters would make the hops shine. :mug:

Back